Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sstern1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
Hey guys, another question for you..
I'm a relatively new Mac User, using my first Ibook G3 600/384/30gig now.
I've been raising money for a while now for a New 12" Rev. C PB and I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy it before Macworld. I was really hoping they would offer another Ipod/Powerbook deal like they did last summer. Any thoughts on this....?

Another question, should I go for the Superdrive? I've only got around $2000 and i'd be pushing it because I want to upgrade the ram, buy applecare etc.

Thanks
-Scott

denm316

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2003
Philadelphia
I had an iBook 900 G3, and just bought a new 12inch PB about a month or so ago and I love it. I say go for it,

The superdrive is cool, and you cant upgrade it later so its worthwhile to pickup if you are going to use, or think you might use it.

Wait for AppleCare, you have up to a year yo order it.

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004
I love my 12" pb--the keyboard is wonderful, the screen is stunning and it's so very light and sleek. I can certainly recommend buying one. As to when....If this were a year ago, I'd say wait for MacWorld as there was a big focus on the powerbooks back then. But Powerbooks have just been upgraded and it's unlikely that the G4 powerbooks are going to be the special baby of this year's MacWorld.

Obviously, I can't promise or guarantee anything--I don't want you coming back and yelling at me for making you buy early :rolleyes: But it does seem that if Apple has any special discounts or packages, they usually revolve around their latest new or upgraded product. And that's not likely to be the powerbooks, not this time around.

arnette

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
Manhattan Beach
denm316 said:
I had an iBook 900 G3, and just bought a new 12inch PB about a month or so ago and I love it. I say go for it,

The superdrive is cool, and you cant upgrade it later so its worthwhile to pickup if you are going to use, or think you might use it.

Wait for AppleCare, you have up to a year yo order it.

I'm thinking of doing exactly what you did, sell my G3 900Mhz ibook for a new 12" PB. The advantages I see: larger HD, faster processor, more memory (768 for me!), USB 2.0, audio line-in.

But I am concerned on a couple of things. I type on my lap while sitting on the couch constantly. So I'm concerned about heat, fan noise and how often the fan kicks on... any comments on that? I'm looking to ease my concerns!
I really have a stellar ibook. Absolutely no problems and the only real reason I would upgrade is for a G4 chip and to stay current to good around with the audio software. But I'd hate to throw it all away for a PB lemon. :(

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
i have a 12" Rev. B PB and I love it. If I were you, I'd get the superdrive and AppleCare, but upgrade the RAM yourself. Buy from http://www.crucial.com and install it by looking at the instructions in your manual. I added another 512MB stick to bring mine up to 768MB and it was very easy.

Best wishes,
JOD8FY

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
JOD8FY said:
i have a 12" Rev. B PB and I love it. If I were you, I'd get the superdrive and AppleCare, but upgrade the RAM yourself. Buy from http://www.crucial.com and install it by looking at the instructions in your manual. I added another 512MB stick to bring mine up to 768MB and it was very easy.

Best wishes,
JOD8FY

I had an iBook G4 800... too many problems to list here. Now I have a 12" PB @ 1.33. It kicks ALL ass. Get one. The only crappy thing is the graphics card... Seeing the specs on the new 6800 for the PM G5 made me realllllly sad.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
arnette said:
I'm thinking of doing exactly what you did, sell my G3 900Mhz ibook for a new 12" PB. The advantages I see: larger HD, faster processor, more memory (768 for me!), USB 2.0, audio line-in.

But I am concerned on a couple of things. I type on my lap while sitting on the couch constantly. So I'm concerned about heat, fan noise and how often the fan kicks on... any comments on that? I'm looking to ease my concerns!
I really have a stellar ibook. Absolutely no problems and the only real reason I would upgrade is for a G4 chip and to stay current to good around with the audio software. But I'd hate to throw it all away for a PB lemon. :(

I never found the heat in my Rev C to be all that bothersome until I started Folding@Home, so I got a Targus ChillPad at Staples for $29 and it is great. I can type this, Fold, and NOT broil my wank. It's (the ChillPad) great in that it has these little fans that you power by plugging into a USB port. I love it. bit of a gimmick, but serves its purpose.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I was thinking of also getting a 12 in powerbook. But i'm not going to upgrade/get a new one in a few years ..3 or so... i'm going to use it for college, I NEED to have laptop in class because i can't write well... But i want Final Cut Express and maybe photo shopt elements so a powerbook will be a logical choice... I don't want tehm to annouce a G5 or a super increase at macworld... cause i'll be pissed...
ANother concer i have is that if max out the hard drive at 80... isn't that much room once u install all the programs (ie word, FCE,photo shop..etc) and also the photo's a movies... Is there another option beside getting an exteral hard drive.. if they had like a 120....then that would be nice...
Or i could get a nice 2.5 G5 :p but the dorms in my college are small...and there would be no place to put it...
But if i get the 15" PB then in class would be hard to use it on those tiny desk.... so i'm back to the 12"
Wuts your views (do i feel my pain) lol
Thanks

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
puckhead193 said:
I was thinking of also getting a 12 in powerbook. But i'm not going to upgrade/get a new one in a few years ..3 or so... i'm going to use it for college, I NEED to have laptop in class because i can't write well... But i want Final Cut Express and maybe photo shopt elements so a powerbook will be a logical choice... I don't want tehm to annouce a G5 or a super increase at macworld... cause i'll be pissed...
ANother concer i have is that if max out the hard drive at 80... isn't that much room once u install all the programs (ie word, FCE,photo shop..etc) and also the photo's a movies... Is there another option beside getting an exteral hard drive.. if they had like a 120....then that would be nice...
Or i could get a nice 2.5 G5 :p but the dorms in my college are small...and there would be no place to put it...
But if i get the 15" PB then in class would be hard to use it on those tiny desk.... so i'm back to the 12"
Wuts your views (do i feel my pain) lol
Thanks
The current highest capacity laptop drive (i.e. 2.5" as opposed to the desktop 3.5" drives) is 80GB. I'd say go with the 80GB upgrade - not only more space but also it is faster (5400 instead of 4200rpm) meaning you will get faster overall performance. The hard drive speed is usually the bottleneck in laptop computers.

For video, get an external. That's what I'm planning to do, once i have enough money ready.

I have a rev B 12" PB and it is superb. The 1.33 GHz version is even better. I can't see a G5 version coming until next year at the absolute earliest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.