To buy or not to buy , a 2T Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacAir78, May 12, 2010.

1. MacAir78 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have the possibility to buy a 1 week old 2T Time Capsule for 300 euro's plus probably max 15 € shipping cost. Is this a good deal or not ? The TC is under full warranty, the buyer made a mistake in buying. What do you guys think ?

Thanks

2. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

Go for it if it's legit.

It's a truly great piece of kit. :cool:

3. MacAir78 thread starter macrumors newbie

It is legit and I have the possibility to pick it up, not an internet scheme or what so ever.

4. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

Hi,

I wouldn't.

Google: "Time Capsule 18 months"

Better off to buy an external drive and plug it into an Airport Extreme. Easier to upgrade the HDD later on and you don't have the worry that it may die on you.

s.

5. midloman macrumors regular

midloman

Been reading these forums for a while as I prepare to make the leap from PC to Mac. All I've read about the TC has me apprehensive about buying one as well.

Regarding the external HD option: Does that option work with any wireless router that accepts a USB hard drive, or does it work best (or only) with an Apple router (like the Extreme Base Station)? I was thinking of getting a Linksys E3000 to plug into my Verizon Fios modem/router (that has a coax input for the connection from the wall). I thought I remembered seeing that sometimes an external HD used with Time Machine via a wireless router can disconnect unexpectedly and has to be remounted or something. From everything I've seen, that isn't a problem with the Time Capsule. Only problem with the TC is "will it work (more than 18 months)?".

Thanks.

6. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Time Machine on a AE is not supported automatically by Apple. There are threads by people who cannot get TM to connect to the drive.

7. Princess Cake macrumors member

Princess Cake

I don't even see the need for a 1TB honestly, I've had Time Machine running for a year now and I've not even used 500GB yet.

8. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

Works for me.

Bought the gear. Opened the boxes. Plugged them in. Activated Time Machine.

Wireless backups.

s.