To buy or not to buy, a Dual G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Zotaccian, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

I could get a PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz for roughly 60USD including shipping. It has damaged "back leg", it is detached from the left side. I dunno if it can be fixed by welding etc. According to the seller the machine works fine.

It has Dual G5 2.0GHz, 8 gigs of ram, 160gb hdd and I assume it has original graphics card. No operating system but I do have Leopard disc. I have some experience in flashing graphics cards so I probably could upgrade cheaply, atleast to 9800 Pro or something, I assume this Mac is one with AGP slot but I'm not sure...

I do have room for it and also 22" display which is currently unused so having this machine would not cause that much problem even though I doubt I will use it that much. The machine has nice amount of memory for its age.

Is this so good deal that I shouldn't let it pass? :rolleyes:

2. robertdsc macrumors regular

robertdsc

Get it. While they do draw a lot of power, they are quiet and do things faster than any other PPC Mac.

I just picked up a second Dual 2.0 yesterday to replace a G4 MDD.

3. reco2011 macrumors 6502a

It's a reasonable price for what it is. However it's a waste of money if all you intend to do is buy it and have it sit around and do nothing. The question you have to ask yourself is: Am I willing to spend $60.00 to play with a system for an hour or two and then set it aside?

4. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

That's a very good price for a G5! The 2.0's are quiet and don't have the fan revvups when you open a program (like the 2.3 to 2.7). You're good on Ram since it's maxed, but a good upgrade GPU that's cheap I always recommend the 9600/9650.

On the actual case it has a skin like that of a car door. If you rip down the entire case you can replace the skin and this should solve the bent leg problem.

5. cookies81 macrumors newbie

cookies81

That is a excellent price first of all. I use a Imac g5 as one of my daily drivers, and it is a single core g5. It loads everything I need on the web very well. The leopard disk you have, if it is grey and locked to a specific mac you have a problem. You need the one with the purple background and the black X on it. Other than that, the leg problem is a minor issue, jut remove both legs or try welding. It sounds like a Awesome deal! go for it.Good Luck!

6. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

s'funny..
    60 bucks is very cheap.. so no dramas there :D

and if your going to play around with it, its gonna be a good buy :)

go for it :D

7. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

OK, I'm going to try and talk you out of this:

Buy the G5.

Crap! Let me try this again, and I'll be very direct with you:

Buy the G5.

GRRRRRR! One last time. I know I can talk you out of doing this:

Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!

*sigh* Well, I tried...