To Buy Or Not to Buy = Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ilgreatluigi, Feb 14, 2012.

  1. ilgreatluigi macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2012
    #1
    This is a multi-part question. First I am in the market for a new MBP...maybe. My current windows computer was purchased in May of 2012. The harddrive has already died and been replaced once while my computer was still under Geek Squad protection (which has now expired). My senior project requires a lot of VMware usage and it is essential that the PC be portable (or else I would just build a new desktop). Enter MBP. My speced' MBP comes to around 3000 with my student discount. I can afford monthly payments because right now I only have a cell/car payment. When I graduate this year in May, I will still have steady income. So do I buy a MBP now and accept more payments or do I try to hold out for Ivy-Bridge? I would benefit from it most now and I may be counting down the days until my current hdd will fail again. But is this a want or a need? Also I would have to finance it and I would like to know the best solution (i.e. Barclay card, Paypal Mastercard, Bill Me Later, etc.) I should also mention that I a little less than one year of good credit history. I hope this all made sense. Thanks for your time.
     
  2. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

    macbook pro i5

    Joined:
    May 13, 2011
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #2
    In the most simple way yes wait for the new ones because A.to much heat is produced currently and also by that time osx lion would be more optimized for the hardware.
     
  3. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

    Medic278

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2012
    Location:
    New York
    #3
    The barclay financing is a pretty good deal. I believe that with a 3000 purchase you will get at least 12 months no interest and I think that you may even be able to get 18 months no interest if you spend over 3000. Its not a bad deal if you can pay it off, if not you get charged interest on the full purchase amount not just the remaining balance.
     
  4. shmonkus macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2012
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #4
    I was in the same boat as you for a long while, before I decided to take the plunge and just get it. Probably worth weighing up your options regarding the optical drive too, as there are very strong rumors that the 2012 model will not have one.

    If you need it now, get the existing model, you will not be disappointed. I am certainly not disappointed with my decision but if you think you can wait, then wait, save up a little extra deposit money and get the Ivy Bridge model when it comes out, eventually :)
     

Share This Page