To buy or not to buy ... that is the question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rp911, Jan 12, 2012.

  1. rp911 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2007
    #1
    My elderly Mac Pro (2006 base model!) is still going strong, but demands for audio, design and occasional HD video have me ready to upgrade (despite getting a boost from a SSD drive and some extra RAM last year).

    I'm looking at an 8-core. But, of course, I'm nervous that the new Mac Pros will emerge exactly 31 days after I buy this one.

    I would add a 248 gig SSD as a boot drive.

    Also toying with the idea of a new MacBook Pro, the 27" Thunderbolt display and a separate keyboard. Would actually be a bit less money, but not sure about the horsepower issue, or how fast comparatively the MB would be compared to the Mac Pro.

    Any words of wisdom? Should I be concerned about Lion and the Creative Suite 5.5?

    Thanks ...
     
  2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

    ActionableMango

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2010
    #2
    At this point, I would wait as long as it takes. The current MP is tremendously out of date and because there are no price drops, it is also tremendously overpriced for what you get.
     
  3. InuNacho macrumors 65816

    InuNacho

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2008
    Location:
    In that one place
    #3
    Upgrade the stock processors if you haven't done so already and just wait it out. Me and I'm sure several others here are all sitting around playing the waiting game just sitting around for something to happen.
     
  4. xgman macrumors 601

    xgman

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2007
    #4
    I tend to agree unless you buy used or refurbished.
     
  5. AppleDroid macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    Location:
    Illinois
    #5
    Plus it would be nice to know there will be a new Mac Pro period. Many pundits are guessing the machine is either out or we will see one more iteration then it's "go buy an iMac with your glassy mirror shine".
     

Share This Page