To buy or not to buy the iPhone HD

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blues003, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Blues003 macrumors 6502

Hey guys.

I've been saving for the iPhone for around 8 months now, and was intending to buy it as soon as it came out (I have no iPhone right now, and feel the smart move is to wait for iPhone HD/2010/4G/Whatever).

Right now, though, I started having serious doubts. In particular, regarding the money. I WILL have the money I need by the time it comes out. Question is: is it worth it?

On a topic on another forum, the question the TC posted was "What do you do with your iPhone?". The majority of replies consisted of "Calls, SMS, Internet, Mail, Calendar, and Games". While a Smartphone could be handy in a course like mine (Medicine), for the easiness of access to information it'd provide me with, I started having doubts about giving 600€ away to have something that "Calls, SMSs, goes to Internet and Mail, Calendar, and has Games". I mean, seriously, for 50€ a regular phone does all of that aside from Mail, Internet, and actually good games.

Considering the fact that I value not the "fashion" factor of the iPhone, and that I'm trying to make Games be the least of my priorities on a phone - despite how much I love them -, do you think the iPhone is still a good choice of a phone? And also, I take the chance to ask what the TC in the other forum asked: What do YOU do with your iPhone?

2. Jinkst macrumors 6502

Better yet, what do YOU do with your phone and what do YOU want to do with it? Coz my answer of calls, SMS, Internet and mail is covered already lol ;)

3. felt. macrumors 6502a

it's all about the apps for me..and they have some great ones for students of medicine

4. Blues003 thread starter macrumors 6502

Right now, all I do is Calls and SMS. Calendar sometimes. It's not like it can do much more. >_>'

I'd like something that 'd allow me to go to the Web whenever I wanted (though I'm perfectly happy this way). Furthermore, there are some medical-based apps I'm interested in. Thing is, I think that "just" this, isn't enough to make me pay 600€. So I'm kinda "looking" for some other arguments, you know? Do your best to convince me tp buy this baby! :p

Another option would be to buy a MBP (I'll be in need of a new laptop soon), and use the student discount to get a 185€ cheaper iPod Touch. What "bothers" me is that most of the people I know that have an iPod Touch say that if they could, they'd upgrade to an iPhone...

@ felt.: what apps do you fell that made it "worth it" ?

5. Fran-tastic macrumors member

Fran-tastic

I was using my girlfriend's iPhone 3G for the past 3 months and I will probably buy the new one when it will come out.

Reasons? the 3G doesn't support those feature key that make OS 4 different from the OS 3: Multitasking.

The reason I want multitaskin is manly one: Skype.

I'm living in London and my parents are in Italy, with OS 4 I can receive and make calls whenever.

Second reason I guess it has a better battery, and is larger as well, which is a good point.

Other few reasons better CPU, camera(and video) and I hope those button that replace the rocker will be used for camera and games too.

I probably wouldn't buy it if I had already a 3GS.

6. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    after I bought an iphone 3g nearly 2 years ago, I have never looked back.

not to be overly dramatic, but the iphone changes your life. By that I mean it changes how you do things. The ease of having EVERYTHING in your pocket makes it worth it.

one thing I loved is being able to look anything up at any time. I can have random thoughts all the time like "who was this person" or "what year did this happen" or "what does a this spider look like" you know just RANDOM crap that I always wish I could look up, but I always seem to forget when i am near a computer. so the iphone provides instant internet

but really the possibilities are endless. from having your calendar in your pocket with reminder notifications of things, to email on the go, to being a great time killer ANY time u have 3 seconds to spare, to being able to start and unlock your car from your iphone.

But also keep in mind that most of these things can be done from any smart phone. What makes the iphone so special in my mind is the ease of use, the seamless sync with my mac (calendar, pics, music, videos), and the HUGE selection of apps. Especially because I have spent so much money on the apps I am invested in the iphone for life. I don't think I will ever turn back.

Hope this helps :)

7. wfielder84246 macrumors member

could get a standard phone and an ipad? not sure how much in euros the ipads are going to be but i'm sure 600 is well enough??

8. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Are you in a WiFi area most of the time? If so, just get an iPod Touch. You will have all the benefits of having the apps and the web at your finger tips and then keep your current phone for calling/texting.

I don't think this option makes sense as the price of the iPhone is the determing factor for him. Getting an iPad that costs the same amount of money doesn't help him in any way.

9. machacker macrumors regular

As a student I can say that having the iPhone changed my college daily life profoundly. It replaced my alarm clocks, my calendars, my dorm phone, everything. I have it always in my pocket and I have all the information I need all the time. It syncs back to my mac at any time, so I always my most updated appointment schedules and things like that. Im never worried about not having someones phone number, because I can just look it up online. With apps like Siri Personal Assistant, you can make reservations for a restaurant just by talking to it as if you were talking to a person.

On top of that, I have the TomTom app, and having the GPS anywhere is wonderful. I have found myself at point A, not planning on going to point B, but finding myself needing to go, and I have the ability to find point B, with no stress. That is a life saver, especially when it is time sensitive!

Being able to do all those things, from my pocket, at any time saves me stress, and time during the day. And as a college student, those are two things I need to not waste!

It is well worth the money you will spend on it. It feels like taking a dive now, but when you do it and you use it for a while, you will feel the difference.

10. Anastacio macrumors regular

I have seen this before but I can't remember which app and kit it is. Can you help me out? Is it the Viper?

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I am continually amazed how many people come on here and want others to decide for them how they should spend their money. Only you, OP, can know whether an iPhone is worth the expense to you. Only can know how you would use it. For me, obviously, the iPhone was worth the cost; but that really has no bearing on whether it will be "a good choice" for you.

12. Shorties macrumors 6502a

I use my iPhone for everything, I have become so hopelessly dependent on it that I would rather leave my house without underwear than my phone. Take from that what you will, but getting an iPhone changed my life (In a good way, even if I am a little dependent on it now) being able to use the internet to look anything up, to easily be able to have drink, and food recipes at the touch of an app, all the little tools and utilities that you can get, and just the fact that you can use it like an iPod without carrying around anything else, by far its worth it. (I am also saving up for the iPhone HD, I can't wait!!! My 3G has become slow and dated, I also cracked the plastic by accident... Probably related to the Drinks app...).

13. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

So do I but unless another carrier option becomes available and since I just got a WiFi iPad, I am considering getting a regular phone on a different carrier. I know there are some apps and conveniences I would greatly miss, but I am seriously considering making calls be the most important part of my phone again.

14. Shorties macrumors 6502a

Oh yeah, thats one thing, AT&T doesn't suck where I live, so if the original poster lives in a city where AT&T is particularly bad, (Specifically San Francisco, San Diego or New York) I would probably recommend against it. But I also don't use the phone part of it that much, I text and MMS much more often. But when I do make calls, I rarely get dropped calls, or failed texts. (There have been occasions where the AT&T towers went down for an hour once or twice here, and that is annoying, but Verizon towers here have also done that on occasion, I just always assume thats what happens if they are servicing a tower.)

15. 55test55 macrumors 6502

i dont know if i speak for everyone here, but i dont know how i managed without one. it is SO useful for school, every day life, having fun, and a bunch of other stuff.

it really has proven helpful to me...the internet is at your fingers, and most importantly, its so easy to use. i've found numbers, directions, class schedules, test times, study materials, purchased things when i needed to, been able to use the internet when i had no wifi or wired connections available, etc that otherwise i would have been screwed without (when i needed them). plus it keeps me busy when i've got nothing to do, heh.

16. scott99 macrumors 6502a

BINGO ! Perfect reason to have an iPhone, and let's not forget, It's a great iPod too ! I have all my music on it, tons of great helpful and fun apps, great internet browsing experience, very easy UI, very intuitive, email, calendar, etc. I LOVE the touch screen, the best one out there. Just my favorite gadget of all time. I have a 3G, my contract is up in May, I WILL be getting the next iPhone.

17. Blues003 thread starter macrumors 6502

I do have Wi Fi MOST of the times. There are some areas of my faculty that do not, but on the remaining ones, and at home, I do have constant Wi Fi going on. I have thought about the iPod Touch, specially in that +Macbook Pro combo (my current laptop's graphic card is slowly beginning to die).

So, what else do you guys do with your iPhone? Keep'em coming! :p

@ thelatinist: I know only I can decide wheather I should or not buy it. But exactly because I want to make an INFORMED decision, am I asking people around what they do with their iPhone.

EDIT: Are there any medicine-students/doctors around that could account for their experience with the iPhone as an (un)important information-retrieving tool? :p