To Buy or Not to Buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by radioman10, Nov 9, 2010.

  1. radioman10 macrumors member

    Nov 9, 2010
    I love the MacBook Air 11.6", with 4GB of RAM.

    The problem is: I'm not sure if I should wait on the next generation of MacBook Pros and buy that instead, because aren't they likely to include solid state drives by default, along with a better resolution display, and cheaper prices (than current MBPs)?

    Also, do you think that the next update of MacBook Air 11.6" will include a processor over 2.0 GHz?
  2. Mac Composer macrumors member

    Oct 29, 2010
    Everything in the future is always going got be better and cheaper than we have now. You'll end up waiting forever if you're always holding off for the next best thing. If you need one now, buy it.
  3. spinnerlys Guest


    Sep 7, 2008
    forlod bygningen
    We don't know that, but it is likely, that BTO options for flash drives similar to the current MBA ones might exist, unless they still just offer SSDs. But only Apple knows that.

    And as the 11" MBA and the MBPs are quite different beasts, your desire to wait depends on your needs I guess?

    Regarding the 2GHz CPU for the 11" MBA: Maybe, but unlikely, as they still get hot.
  4. Jaro65 macrumors 68040


    Mar 27, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I got my MBA and enjoy it for now. When the new MBP's arrive and I'm incredibly impressed, maybe I'll trade. In any case, the MBA will hold its value quite well.
  5. macnerd123 macrumors regular

    Nov 6, 2010
    true that :D
  6. neteng101 macrumors 65816

    Jan 7, 2009
    Just do it and enjoy - there will always be newer and better stuff in years to come but there's always another tomorrow and at that rate, you'll never buy anything ever again, waiting for the endless cycles of upgrades.

    Get the MBA while its new and hot!
  7. radioman10 thread starter macrumors member

    Nov 9, 2010
    Where do you sell them for a good resale value?
  8. Boston007 macrumors 6502


    Apr 9, 2010
    Let me help you decide.
    Do you need it right now? The new MBPs will not be coming out until early next year, that's the rumor. I highly doubt they will come out before then.

    To make you even feel better, buy the 13" MBA with 4G ram. You will have to speed in processor, same inches in screen, and better resolution had you bought the MBP.
  9. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000


    Dec 20, 2009
    You have summed it up nicely. There is no best time to buy. Never was, never will be. There are too many variables, and uncertainties.

    The answer is easier than it may seem. If you need (not just want) a computer now, and you want the OS X platform, buy one now.

    Cheers.. :)
  10. Jaro65 macrumors 68040


    Mar 27, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    #11 can try MR, or Craigslist, or eBay.
  11. Bluehinder macrumors member

    Jun 23, 2009
    I'd wait, the next one will be better. And, the one after that. And that.
  12. radioman10 thread starter macrumors member

    Nov 9, 2010
    Note taken.

    The problem is, I don't NEED it necessarily. I'm just ready to upgrade and I'm not sure when to do it. I certainly don't want to wait until my current Mac dies.

    I have a 2008 unibody MacBook with 2GHz processor and 4GB of RAM, and it runs pretty well. The battery does not hold a charge anymore, but other than that, I really cannot complain. I've been very happy with this computer.

    Anyway, with all of that said, thanks to all for your replies. They are much appreciated!
  13. wvuwhat macrumors 65816


    Sep 26, 2007
    Word to the wise, don't visit this forum when you have 2000 dollars of discretionary income. Just ordered a base 11.6 MB Air with upgraded 4gb's of ram. I may regret this tomorrow.
  14. netdog macrumors 603


    Feb 6, 2006
    I suspect that the 11.6" is seldom a "need" item (with a few exceptions).

Share This Page