To Buy or Not to Buy.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mfaye21, Sep 12, 2011.

1. mfaye21 macrumors regular

Hi,
    I bought a 13" Macbook Pro last April at the refresh. I absolutely love it but lately I have been feeling the need for a more powerful machine. I am a 15 year old so money isn't too easy to come by but I have managed to save up for an entry level iMac as my main machine. I would go and do this now but what do I do in less than three years when I go to college? I want to buy a nice 15" MBP right before college with the help of the sale of my current MBP. I don't think that an iMac is a great college machine so I think I may sell that right before also, but is worth only having it for a little less than 3 years?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

What do you need such a powerful computer for at 15? My personal suggestion would be to save until college

3. mfaye21 thread starter macrumors regular

With the answer I would tell you you would just tell me I need more RAM. Maybe that is the solution.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That would certainly be cheaper. Plus, if you just need more RAM, a computer with a better processor won't solve your problem, you'll still be short on RAM.

5. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

SAVE MONEY!!!!
    SAVE MONEY!!!!
    SAVE MONEY!!!!
    My father always told me, and I didn't pay attention when I was 15, even at 25...and way more than that today, and I only regret not paying attention to my elders. They are always right, good advice is not good until you pay attention.

SAVE MONEY!!!!
    SAVE MONEY!!!!
    SAVE MONEY!!!!

I bought my 15" in 2007, when the first unibodies came out, I paid almost $3,000 for the latest and greatest top of the line 15" 2.8Ghz...now the middle model is way faster and many iterations of improvements....costs around $1,600.

SAVE MONEY!!!!
    SAVE MONEY!!!!
    SAVE MONEY!!!!

To speed up the current MBP that you have, you can get an SSD, and more RAM.
    www.macsales.com

If the bigger screen is your concern, you can buy an external monitor, or get a cable adapter to connect it to a big screen TV.
    SAVE MONEY!!!!
    SAVE MONEY!!!!
    SAVE MONEY!!!!

Portability is very important feature in a personal computer nowadays.

Ask yourself do you really need it? Or is it just the urge to update?

6. HuggyLowDown macrumors regular

HuggyLowDown

Just save your money! Sell the 13" and upgrade to the base level 15" it's powerful enough. Like the gentleman above said, portability is key when going to college. You don't want to carry an iMac back and forth.
    Save your money, buy yourself something nice.:D

7. mfaye21 thread starter macrumors regular

That isn't a bad idea. I can sell my 13 and buy the base 15.