To buy, or not to buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vaatiel, Sep 30, 2011.

  1. Vaatiel macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2011
    #1
    Hey guys

    Im in the market for a Macbook Pro 13". However, with the rumours of the late 2011 refresh and the more reliable early 2011 rumours regarding the new processors, i am in a bit of a conundrum.

    I obviously don't want to buy with an update around the corner, however i definitely don't feel like waiting 5 months until purchasing when the major upgrade comes around.

    The best solution i have come up with is to wait a few weeks for the late 2011 release, purchase then and keep the laptop for around 5 months and then resell it and upgrade to the 2012 edition.

    My question is simply whether you think this is a good idea and if the resell value justifies this decision...I will be using the MBP for university work, some light gaming and maybe some video editing.

    Cheers for reading this guys, let me know what you think
     
  2. alust2013 macrumors 601

    alust2013

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    On the fence
    #2
    For the work you need it for, the current models are more than enough. I would just buy now and not worry about it.
     
  3. Kyle9859 macrumors newbie

    Kyle9859

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2011
    Location:
    Louisville, KY
    #3
    If you really need a computer, go ahead and buy now, but If you don't then It wont hurt to wait. The refresh is most likely only going to add new processor options to the custom orders and not the base models. If Apple does upgrade the base models it still wont be a huge upgrade.

    There may not even be a late 2011 upgrade. Everything you hear at this point are just rumors and what people have determined by looking at apples past release schedules.
     
  4. Vaatiel thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2011
    #4
    Thanks guys..good advice. I might forget about the late 2011 update and just buy asap. I think a good time to buy will be after october 4th (im hoping they will announce a speed bump then at the iphone event, if ever :p)

    What do you think about reselling in order to upgrade for the early 2012 upgrade? Macs seem to have AMAZING resell value from what i'm seeing on ebay.
     
  5. Badrottie Suspended

    Badrottie

    Joined:
    May 8, 2011
    Location:
    Los Angeles
  6. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #6
    I'd not wait, the current generation MBPs are plenty fast and right now you get an optical drive (if that's for you) given apple's penchant for downloading software the optical drive may disappear from the next model
     
  7. TheJing macrumors 6502a

    TheJing

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2011
    Location:
    Somewhere in Europe
    #7
    Just buy now, upgrade the RAM and get an SSD.

    There will always be something better coming so you might as well get it now.
     
  8. randomrazr macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2011
    #8
    the waiting game is stupid, unless we hear rumors for sure that there gonna come out like next week.

    if you need it buy it.

    if not, then save ur cash
     

Share This Page