To buy or not to buy....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kyliec89, Oct 6, 2011.

  1. Kyliec89 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2010
    #1
    So I am eligible for upgrade as of June, and my line has over $100 billed to it per month, so I should be eligible again in a year should I choose to upgrade. I am currently on an iPhone 4.

    I use my camera frequently, and would take advantage of that improvement. But if I were not up for upgrade, I wouldn't consider paying the extra money to upgrade early or anything like that. I am content with my iPhone 4, but I stand to make a few dollars by selling this one and upgrading for 199. And, I have no plans of switching carriers, so extending the contract isn't a big deal to me.

    My main concern would be that iPhone 5, or whatever they call it, would come out before my upgrade is ready again. Do you think there is any chance of it being less than a year out? Would you upgrade if you were in my position? Insight is welcome. Thanks.
     
  2. Globetrotter macrumors regular

    Globetrotter

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2007
    Location:
    London
    #2
    if your main target is a better camera, go with the 4S

    the focus on the 5 will be the case, how thin it is etc... the camera will hardly be touched IMO
     
  3. Kyliec89 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2010
    #3
    Thats a good point. But, I could get by with the camera as is, if thats what it took to have the 5 in hand on release day.

    When the design changes, I will want the new phone for sure. Well, I guess, unless its really awful- which I doubt. If there had been a design change on this one, I would be preordering, no doubt. So i guess design and camera are both significant to me.
     
  4. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    Location:
    US
    #4
    In a year? Probably. Much less than that, I'd be surprised.

    Consider this, if you're eligible for an upgrade, that's effectively $10 a month or more in subsidy dollars you're giving AT&T with nothing in return. It might make sense to hold off a month or three for something clearly on the horizon, but I say go for it now. Worst case you have to pay an extra $250 early upgrade for the next one which would be offset by the resale difference between your current iphone4 vs a year old iphone4s
     
  5. TLewis macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2007
    Location:
    left coast, US
    #5
    Only you can decide if the extra cost is worth it. Just note that the next iPhone is likely to come out around this time next year, regardless of what people would like. Apple now has their two major products coming out around six months apart, and they're likely to keep it that way, to (1) make their quarterly financials look better, and (2) minimize the sales of one from affecting the sales of the other.
     
  6. Kyliec89 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2010
    #6
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Good point about the resale difference should I have to pay the $250 for a 5. I also doubt it will be here sooner than a year out anyway. Thanks to all of you. I think I will just go for it. I have taken 1000's of pictures of my baby with my current phone so I'm sure the camera will be worth it anyway.
     
  7. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    Location:
    US
    #7
    Not to set the hook or anything, but does 1080p video of your baby mean anything? :)
     
  8. Kyliec89 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2010
    #8
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

    :) yes, another good point. I just got a new camera so I could stop using my phone for everything but it's always there and ready and I still end up using the phone for 90% of videos and pictures. So I guess I shouldn't doubt my choice to upgrade.
     
  9. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2010
    #9
    My main question

    Does anyone think the next iPhone will release next June or October?
     
  10. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    Location:
    US
    #10
    Look at the product release cycles for iPods, iPhones, and iPads. My gut says this move to October was deliberate. Nothing more than speculation.
     

Share This Page