To buy or...not to buy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NWI73, Oct 11, 2011.

1. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

Here's the full story. On a family plan with 5 lines. I have an iPhone 4 (used my dads upgrade to get it). My line is now eligible for an upgrade which would put all 5 lines on contract. The next available upgrade comes in Feb then another one follows in May. My parents don't upgrade often like most parents so it works out pretty well for me who likes to upgrade often. My mom is hurting for a new phone but just wants a simple non-smartphone and I don't want to use one of the upgrades (or mine) to get her a phone since it's not worth it for a cheaper phone. So, now I am debating whether or not to upgrade my iPhone 4 to an iPhone 4S and sell my iPhone 4 on eBay for ~340. If a iPhone 5 happens to come out in June or Oct of 2012, I would still be able to get that one, using one of the other lines. I have been going back and forth trying to figure out what the best plan is but maybe you guys can help. I have to admit I am an apple fanboy and I would love this new iPhone but still debating whether or not my 4 would suffice. I am torn :rolleyes:

2. Justim macrumors 6502

Give your mom your iPhone 4 and get the 4s.

iPhone's are the easiest phones to operate.

I got my 70+ grandmother an iPhone 4. She loves the thing and is a champ working with it.

Sometimes she throws the "I don't use all the features so I don't feel like I'm getting the most benefit from it" card, but I always assure her that with hundreds of thousands of apps bringing extra features to the phone, there's no humanly way to use all the features.

Chances are, she'll love the iPhone too. Most new smartphone users do.

If not, get her a GoPhone.

3. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Personally if I had an iPhone 4 I would keep it but that's me...

Then again I could just be telling you this because I don't want you in front of me in line at an Apple store for the 4s this friday ;)

4. NWI73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Long story short - my mom cannot have a phone requiring data on her line. Don't ask why...it is what is it. No iPhone for her. I would need to sell the iPhone 4 to make money to buy the 4S anyways. I'll keep looking into the go phones.

Haha..nice. I'm torn!! The same form factor is what's holding me back but i'd love the camera bump. I take a LOT of pictures and even sold my point and shoot to use my iPhone as my primary point/shoot. I'm sure the A5 will be great but i'm still wondering how much I would use Siri. I'm also very excited for iOS5 but again, that will work on my 4.

5. NWI73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess I have a couple days to make up my mind :)

6. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Buy her a simple phone from Amazon! That way you won't have to use any line to upgrade!

7. NWI73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. Gatteau, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

Gatteau macrumors 6502a

How about you wait til you get iOS5 on your 4 and decide then, whether or not you actually want the 4S? Unless you really need the upgraded camera and Siri?

9. NWI73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Definitely will be going that route since iOS5 comes out tomorrow and the 4S doesn't release til Friday. I guess the apple crack has me hooked'

10. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

Heh, it's what I'm doing. The 4S doesn't come out in Italy until the 28th anyway.

11. Codepiink macrumors regular

Buy a $20 To-Go phone and give that to her. She just pops her sim card in it and you're good to go. I bought one a few days ago bc I sold my iPhone in prep for the 4S. Can't get any simpler than this piece of crap. And this way, you won't be upgrading any lines.

12. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

I'd say just get one and give her your old iPhone. ITs a good deal for you and everyone else!

13. NWI73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I need to sell mine to recoup money if I buy a 4S..

14. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

I can't understand how anyone could possibly be willing to pay over $1 for the 4S. Its so outdated and the screen is the size of a wristwatch and has washed out low quality colors.

The Nexus-Prime will be 100x better.

15. ap3604 macrumors 68000

[​IMG]