to buy or not to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stacisharp, Nov 26, 2011.

1. stacisharp macrumors newbie

I need a new MBP, most likely the 17" model, for May 1, 2012. Should I buy the just updated model now? or will the 2012 models be released before May 1? Obviously I'm asking for speculation since no one knows for sure what Apple will do... I've looked at the buying guide, but two of the previous years they had releases in Feb and April, and then one year it was June.

2. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

If you are capable of waiting until next year, then you don't really "need" a new MBP now, do you?

3. GTANJ macrumors member

Nobody knows for sure when the next update to the MBP line will occur. If you want a new machine now, you should go for it. If you want to wait, I'm sure the new line with Ivy Bridge will occur some time before next summer. If I were you, however, I would consider maybe going for the 15" MBP. Does the 17" accomplish anything that the 15" does not? (Aside from a bigger screen, though it is more expensive).

4. stacisharp thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't "need" it now, I will "need" it then :)

5. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Then wait.

6. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

+1. If you can wait, wait.

7. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

patience is a virtue, so waiting is probably the best idea for you. Ff you can do it do it :D

8. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Then why are you worried about this now?

9. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

Because it's fun to OCD on Macrumors.:D

10. i4Collin macrumors regular

Yeah, if you can wait then wait. I have a perfectly good Windows laptop right now, and am just going to wait. First cycle products do tend to have their problems, but Apple is always good about fixing them and helping customers who have problems.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Intel's Ivy Bridge chipset will be out around March/April 2012 and this chipset will likely be used in an entirely new line of Mac laptops. If you don't really need one now, it might be worth the wait to your May 2012 date mentioned.