to buy or not to buy?

stacisharp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
2
0
I need a new MBP, most likely the 17" model, for May 1, 2012. Should I buy the just updated model now? or will the 2012 models be released before May 1? Obviously I'm asking for speculation since no one knows for sure what Apple will do... I've looked at the buying guide, but two of the previous years they had releases in Feb and April, and then one year it was June.
 

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
1,050
219
If you are capable of waiting until next year, then you don't really "need" a new MBP now, do you?
 

GTANJ

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2011
53
0
Nobody knows for sure when the next update to the MBP line will occur. If you want a new machine now, you should go for it. If you want to wait, I'm sure the new line with Ivy Bridge will occur some time before next summer. If I were you, however, I would consider maybe going for the 15" MBP. Does the 17" accomplish anything that the 15" does not? (Aside from a bigger screen, though it is more expensive).
 

i4Collin

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
210
5
Maryland
Yeah, if you can wait then wait. I have a perfectly good Windows laptop right now, and am just going to wait. First cycle products do tend to have their problems, but Apple is always good about fixing them and helping customers who have problems.
 

Weaselboy

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
30,339
10,104
California
Intel's Ivy Bridge chipset will be out around March/April 2012 and this chipset will likely be used in an entirely new line of Mac laptops. If you don't really need one now, it might be worth the wait to your May 2012 date mentioned.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.