Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Ok...

I am dreaming in getting the 12 core Mac Pro with 2TB of video ram. But with basic hard drive and basic ram since I can get it cheaper somewhere else.

I would be using is for Cinema 4D specially, After Effects and thennnn for Final Cut 7 but I can run FC anywhere, still my primary use would be 3D and motion graphics.

Guys, what do you thing. It is better to get the new MP or get one of the old ones and add video cards and stuff?

THANK YOU!

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
If going to be running FCP 7 then would suggest get a 5,1 Mac Pro and upgrade.

FCP 7 won't make use of the second gpu card so would suggest a 5,1 with a single GPU card would be better.

Also you can take advantage of the drive bays and PCI-E slots to install SSD's etc into the system without buying external enclosures.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
If going to be running FCP 7 then would suggest get a 5,1 Mac Pro and upgrade.

FCP 7 won't make use of the second gpu card so would suggest a 5,1 with a single GPU card would be better.

Also you can take advantage of the drive bays and PCI-E slots to install SSD's etc into the system without buying external enclosures.

What about the 3D performance?

I am currently have a mid 2008 Mac Pro Quad 2.6 I believe. The CPU can not be upgraded. But what about video ram? Can I get the same performance as the new Mac Pro getting a better (the latests) video card? Or even getting 3 video cards and daisy chain them as you can do in PCs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.