To buy or not to buy...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by peterruchti, Jul 21, 2014.

  1. peterruchti macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    #1
    Hello - My media company is looking at purchasing a new iMac for some video projects.

    The latest reports are saying that a refresh may be delayed until next year due to the broadwell chips.

    I'd rather not wait. However, I can wait until September.

    To buy or not to buy?
     
  2. Truthfulie macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2013
    #2
    If you rather not wait until 2Q of 2015, you should go for it now. Considering the delay from Intel, possible update this year will likely be a minor one anyway.
     
  3. tomwvr macrumors regular

    tomwvr

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2012
    Location:
    Frederick Maryland
    #3
    I don't think there will be an update this year - but I was wrong with the last update :>)

    I would say wait for september and then buy one - if a new comes out you won't be mad for buying now, and if a new does not come out there is no harm waiting less then 2 months to buy.

    Tom
     
  4. Resist macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2008
    #4
    People ask this all the time, including me. But nobody that responds on this forum is going to really know the answer. And considering how quickly computer hardware improves no one can ever stay ahead of the curve, at least not for very long.
     
  5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

    rkaufmann87

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    Location:
    Folsom, CA
    #5
    As stated no-one on these forums knows. This is a rumors site, nothing about release dates on Macs is known by anyone except Apple which normally does not discuss release dates on Macs.
     
  6. KindredMAC macrumors 6502a

    KindredMAC

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2003
    #6
    I'm in the same boat as you, needing to purchase a new iMac.

    I've decided to give it until around mid-September (about 6-8 weeks) before I make a decision. The upgrade cycle for the iMacs has been Sept 2013 and Oct 2012.

    Don't expect anything huge this fall BUT you will most likely get more bang for your buck in the way of the following in longevity:
    1. 3.6 i7 (boost up to 4.0)
    2. Lowered prices for Flash storage
    3. Upgraded or cheaper video upgrade options
    4. Thunderbolt 2 upgrade

    Numbers 2 and 3 are my main focus for my purchase. I want the turbo fast speed of Flash storage for running my design software and would like to have at least the 4GB GPU for the long road ahead when Adobe gets off their asses finally and starts writing the code to make use of that horsepower.

    Number 1 doesn't matter as much as a 100mhz boost will be nice but as long as it is an i7 I don't care.

    Number 4 is another future-proofing thing that would be nice to have since I probably won't start utilizing Thunderbolt for another year or two at its maximum.
     

Share This Page