To Buy or Not to Buy?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by btothekal, Jul 3, 2015.

1. btothekal macrumors newbie

I pre-ordered the apple watch when it was first able to pre-order them but something happened and I could pay for it. Now that I do have the money to get one, I am not sure if I should get one or not. I've seen so many differences in liking it and not liking it. I just want to see what people think about it and if you all think it is a buy or not, worth it or not worth it.

2. bh85 macrumors regular

bh85

If you don't like it, you can always sell it.

3. HeathH macrumors regular

Had my 42 mm SBSS for about a week now. Very happy with the purchase. I work on my feet most of the day and move around a lot. Had more than a few "Aha" moments where the convenience really was great. Pleasantly surprised with the OS as 1.0 release.

4. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

You have 14 days to return it, so what have you got to lose? I love mine.

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I agree with the others and you have 14 days to decide.

What are you expecting from the Apple Watch.

You should be able to see if it suits your in two weeks.

6. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

I'm happy with mine. It's a very personal choice though, as others have said 14-days will allow you to decide.

If money is even "in question" though I wouldn't recommend it. Apple Watch is great but it's not needed as much as a iPhone or computer is (or other more important things in life). Still feels like to me more of a luxury item, same as higher end car.

If you have an Apple Store near by- try one out too. Pictures don't really communicate how it'll feel/look on your own wrist.

7. btothekal thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried them on multiple times and I do believe that 14 days return if needed sounds amazing to do! Thank you all.

8. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Instead of posting here and reading a few replies, why not just spend 20 minutes googling reviews?

9. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

In my opinion, watches of any kind are a luxury item for most people. So buy it if you have the cash and it's a toy that might appeal to you. There's no real "need" for it otherwise.

10. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Let me tell you what is isn't and maybe that will help you decide:

- It is not a Nintendo DS. Don't expect it to entertain you or expect to "use" it a lot. It's a watch. It tells the time and gives you other quick information at a glance.

- It is not an iPhone on your wrist. it's functionality is more of a "light" version of iOS rather than a copy of it and it dependent on your iphone for many of its features.

11. jasonklee macrumors 6502a

jasonklee

I have developed a great affinity for the Apple Watch unlike any other piece of technology. I didn't join the iPhone and iPad party until late 2012 and I didn't get a MacBook Air until 2013, so this is my first time being an early adopter and I have no regrets. I've been fanatical about Apple's product designs in the past but the watch is something completely different. It really is an intimate piece of hardware and software. Like any good tool it's become an indispensable part my life. From Apple Pay to activity tracking to even basic timekeeping—there's something particularly pleasing in tailoring the watch faces alone. My Apple Watch is personalized to my tastes and needs whereas my girlfriend's seems like an entirely different device. I don't feel that way about our iPhones or Macs.

It also helps if you have a significant other you can send your heartbeat to, along with the occasional finger sketch of a flower or inappropriate doodles of your favorite body parts.

12. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Reviews tend to do a very poor job of telling if a product is suitable for you though. Sure, they can showcase its capabilities, but the surest way of knowing for sure is to actually try it out in person.

But since there is a 2 week trial period, I agree that there is likely no harm in trying it out.

13. David58117 macrumors 65816

I've had mine about three days now. I thought the idea was stupid when it was announced, but recently had the money and one was in stock at the store near me - so I went to go try it on, and ended up purchasing it (the sport model, in black).

I guess I didn't follow it too closely, but - I didn't know you could take calls on it!

Also how well Siri works, was a surprise. I was looking up a hotels number yesterday, and my phone was across the room. I did the "hey Siri" thing, and told her to call the number - she did, and my wife and I were able to talk to the people at the hotel, right from the watch. I've also sent numerous text messages from it via Siri - it was fast, and surprisingly - Siri hasn't messed up once.

I'm a news junkie, and being able to have news apps on it is awesome.

Also driving directions appearing on it is nice, and being able to plug my phone into a stereo and control music from the watch, is very nice too.

I'm all together very impressed and happy with it.

I guess the weird thing is - it's not like a computer or phone where you use it daily - I've actually gone a whole day so far without using it.

I don't need a watch on my days off, when I'm just lounging around the house, or even taking a quick trip to the store. Or often even long trips. I don't care about the "fashion" of it, in fact I saw someone with it today (my exact model..) and thought it looked kind of goofy.

Anyway, in conclusion it's neat and I'm happy to own it, but I would only get one of the cheaper models for now. I tried a Microsoft edge prior to it - and the apple watch is leagues better.