To buy or not to buy?

dante959

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
16
2
I've been contemplating buying an iPad for some time, and I've decided that I do want to get one. I've decided against the Pro, as I use my current tablet for very basic things (note-taking, reading, emails, Netflix). I'm not sure if I should go for it now or wait a bit longer, considering the rumours that a new iPad might come out in March.

What are people's thoughts on this? Do you think a 2019 iPad would be significantly more expensive than the 2018 iPad? With the 2018, I'm looking at the £450 version (with LTE) but I wouldn't want to spend significantly more than that on the device itself.
 

skaertus

macrumors 68040
Feb 23, 2009
3,316
441
Brazil
Given that Apple may well release an iPad next month, you could just wait for that. It is not the waiting game, nor an eternity.
 

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
1,096
1,601
Yep just wait a month, the new one coming out sounds like a pretty good update
 

dante959

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
16
2
Yep just wait a month, the new one coming out sounds like a pretty good update
Yeah, I'm hoping it's going to be good, but I'm worried that the upgrade may push the iPad out of my ideal price range. Do you have any thoughts on that? I've got no issues with waiting, other than not being sure whether it will be as affordable.
 

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
1,096
1,601
Yeah, I'm hoping it's going to be good, but I'm worried that the upgrade may push the iPad out of my ideal price range. Do you have any thoughts on that? I've got no issues with waiting, other than not being sure whether it will be as affordable.
Considering that Apple’s sales have been stagnating recently due to high pricing and we heard from one of the execs that they’re aware of customer discontent with prices, they’ll probably want to keep the “iPad” sans “Pro” at a bargain price point. I can see it starting at $399, 70 bucks more justified by this increase in screen size we’ve been hearing about.

If the new one does turn out to be too expensive for your liking, stores will still be selling the current 9.7” model at a discounted price, so it’s kind of a win-win for you to wait. You can get the new upgraded model, or get a better deal on the current model.
 

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
8,394
8,787
Prescott Valley, AZ
Yeah, I'm hoping it's going to be good, but I'm worried that the upgrade may push the iPad out of my ideal price range. Do you have any thoughts on that? I've got no issues with waiting, other than not being sure whether it will be as affordable.
I would be quite surprised if Apple did anything with the pricing of a 2019 iPad (if one is coming). From all indications, the 2018 iPad is selling well and people are quite pleased with it. Easy money for Apple. A win-win situation, IMO.

Whether you get a 2019 iPad or the 2018 model, don't ever pay full MSRP for a new one... there is sure to be a sale on them soon enough. (Amazon is currently selling the 2018 model starting at $250)
 

rui no onna

macrumors 604
Oct 25, 2013
6,876
3,130
I would be quite surprised if Apple did anything with the pricing of a 2019 iPad (if one is coming). From all indications, the 2018 iPad is selling well and people are quite pleased with it. Easy money for Apple. A win-win situation, IMO.

Whether you get a 2019 iPad or the 2018 model, don't ever pay full MSRP for a new one... there is sure to be a sale on them soon enough. (Amazon is currently selling the 2018 model starting at $250)
Mind, I do expect $250 sales on the new model would take a while to pop up. If one needs a new iPad right away, the $330 pricing is quite reasonable.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Donfor39 and sracer

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
1,096
1,601
I would be very surprised if they raise the price, given that they are competing with $200 Chromebooks and laptops in the education market.
I would be surprised too. I just wanted to give the worst-case-scenario as he mentioned he was concerned about cost.
 

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
1,096
1,601
waiting to see if they'll change the port to usb-c
That’ll definitely be interesting. I’m 90% certain they’ll stick with lightning, though, keeping USB-C as a “Pro” necessity. I don’t see them changing it on the Mini either
 
  • Like
Reactions: Falhófnir

MRISX

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2016
26
9
Same here, playing the wait and see game. I have a pretty basic use for it, want to have the best bang for the buck and in my mind that means get a 2018 just after the update, buy refurbished or -want to convince myself- that getting the 2019 just after the update will somehow also represent some good deal, although probably less tangible and only if they keep the same price.

Now about sales and discounts, if they do update in March, when can I expect a sale? I am not familiar with apple pricing but I thought there wouldn’t be any sales probably until Black Friday or holidays. I am wrong?
 

rui no onna

macrumors 604
Oct 25, 2013
6,876
3,130
Now about sales and discounts, if they do update in March, when can I expect a sale? I am not familiar with apple pricing but I thought there wouldn’t be any sales probably until Black Friday or holidays. I am wrong?
New model? I expect $30 off or so near enough to release date (maybe even as GC for pre-orders) from authorized retailers. Deeper discounts, probably not until BF.

Apple Store doesn't really discount except for holidays but I think they might price match.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Donfor39

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
1,096
1,601
New model? I expect $30 off or so near enough to release date (maybe even as GC for pre-orders) from authorized retailers. Deeper discounts, probably not until BF.

Apple Store doesn't really discount except for holidays but I think they might price match.
They do not price match and discount only for trade-ins or students
 

danmart

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2015
1,175
643
Lancs, UK
Yeah, I'm hoping it's going to be good, but I'm worried that the upgrade may push the iPad out of my ideal price range.
If there is a new device launched then stock of the current device with third party suppliers may actually come down in price...

So even if the latest and greatest iPad goes up in price the one you could buy today will be the same price or lower...

If cost is such a factor have you looked in the refurb store on Apple’s site? There are bargains to be had from time to time.
 

rui no onna

macrumors 604
Oct 25, 2013
6,876
3,130
If there is a new device launched then stock of the current device with third party suppliers may actually come down in price...

So even if the latest and greatest iPad goes up in price the one you could buy today will be the same price or lower...

If cost is such a factor have you looked in the refurb store on Apple’s site? There are bargains to be had from time to time.
In the US, they already have for quite a while. There's a sale practically every week on the iPad 6th gen ($250/32GB and $330/128GB).

No idea about foreign markets.
 

Falhófnir

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
3,696
4,025
They do not price match and discount only for trade-ins or students
In the UK at least Apple stores will price match, but only for in-store discounts (no online) - which I think is pretty standard price matching T&Cs. It's quite useful because John Lewis often have some level of discount and Apple will honour their prices. Of course you do get an additional 2 year warranty on top of Apple's one year from JL, so you get the pick that suits you best.
 

MisterSavage

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2018
1,641
1,326
Yeah, I'm hoping it's going to be good, but I'm worried that the upgrade may push the iPad out of my ideal price range. Do you have any thoughts on that? I've got no issues with waiting, other than not being sure whether it will be as affordable.
Even if that happened (not saying I believe that will be the case) then the previous model will most likely get discounted.