To buy, or not to buy15" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pcollins590, May 29, 2011.

1. pcollins590 macrumors newbie

Hey guys hope you could help me and my wallet out here.

...So I've been in the market for a new comp for awhile, been hedging between the new iMac and the new 15"MBP. I can't even begin to express the exhaustion of trying to choose between both formats. Well, finally today I decided to pick up the 15" but decided to probe the internet first to see if the new model comes with any new bugs.

What I found were many posts on various sites including this one about overheating problems with the new fleet of mbp's. All that fun stuff too about bad application of thermal paste etc. Just wondering what opinions are out there on the matter? Hold off a little so apple can iron this one out, or buy??

For info's sake, I plan on using the computer for a lot of photoshoppin' and some light gaming/ music production, so I know I'd be putting the computer through some stress...however I haven't been waiting six years to buy a brand new lemon...mind you I'd be coming from PC so I'd love my first dive into the mac world to be of olympic caliber.

-Thanks in advance ;)

2. Surfing@Blacks macrumors regular

I wouldn't touch a 15" MBP, I mean look at ALL the threads complaining about them! Now that I think of it.. I wouldn't even touch the iMac's since there are tons of threads complaining about those as well. I believe your best bet is to stick to PC until these get fixed... maybe never!

3. gregpod9 macrumors regular

A few weeks I bought and returned the 2011 21.5" highend iMac because it had major yellow tint on the screen. Many iMac owners noticed the same problem. They yellow tint problem started a few years ago and Apple is starting to fix them, but the chance of getting a 2011 iMac with a perfect screen is very low.

The latest build mbps do not have any major issues such as overheating. I bought the entry level 2011 13" mbp yesterday afternoon and is just fine.

It was now time for me to replace my Windows based desktop. I purchased and returned 3 defective pcs and 1 iMac this month because. The pcs were:
    1. Dell Inspiron 580 with i3-550 cpu (Power supply failure after one week of use, unable to read hard drive).
    2. Lenovo K330 with the Sandy Bridge i3 cpu (DOA).
    3. Dell XPS 8300 with i7-2600 cpu (Freezing constantly).
    4. 2011 21.5" highend iMac (Major yellow tint on screen).

Right now I'm using my MBP as a temporary desktop replacement and I'm waiting for the new Mac Mini's to come out so I can use it a permanent desktop replacement. I think that you'll enjoy using the mbp. I used to be a PC fan, but I'm happy that I made the switch to Mac.

4. gakuran hitori macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

People that have problems usually post about it online to complain or get help with them. I bought the 2.3 15" macbook pro in February and I've had no problems. I use Logic Pro with lots of plug-ins every day so I actually push my cpu pretty hard. The fans can get pretty audible and the computer is warm to the touch, but it does not overheat. Just don't cover your computer with a thick blanket and work in a hot, poorly ventilated room and you'll be fine.

I also have an iMac from 2008 which runs hotter than this while doing not much of anything. I don't like iMacs because they're hard to open and only come in glossy screens.

5. mindblank macrumors newbie

gakuran hitori How has your 2.3 MBP been at handling Logic?

6. gakuran hitori macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

Very well, it's been quite a pleasure using logic on it. I upgraded to 8GB of ram which helps too. It blows my 2.4 C2D iMac away. I haven't had a project crash yet.

7. mindblank macrumors newbie

8. pcollins590 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response guys. I just wasn't sure if the heating posts and what not were a mass problem with the new mbp's. Hmmm...well I guess I'll consider picking one up very soon!

9. DocNYz macrumors 6502a

DocNYz

You're an idiot.

That aside, more RAM, using Click to Flash or any kind of flash blocker, and especially and SSD and you'll be blown away with the speed and it will hardly ever crash on you. Def go with at least the quad core processors for sure.