To buy, or not too buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andrewgalpin, Aug 29, 2011.

1. andrewgalpin macrumors newbie

Hey All,

I'm looking to buy a shiny new Macbook Pro 15" ready for Uni. But on looking at the buyers guide i see that its mid cycle and that it says:

Would you recommend that i wait and buy a cheap laptop to use until they are released, or buy it now?

And is there any rumours about when eh new cycle will be?

Thanks

Andy

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

No new rumors on the MBP so it's your decision.

3. Young Spade macrumors 68020

How long until you return/start to/at the university? And what are you going to be using the machine for?

4. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

chances are the new MBP will be released after Ivy Bridge has been released. that will be around January--> June of 2012 [aka the first half of 2012]

though rumors have been sprouting saying a 15inch MBA like device is in testing.. ur choice.. i settled for a MBP 13" 2010 and im happier then ever

5. finalcut macrumors 6502

well, if you want to begin school without any laptop for 6+ months, it's your choice. If I were you, I'd buy one. After all, the MBP line is 2011 come on!

6. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

i agree with this, but if anything you could pick up a relatively cheap hp or compaq laptop from best buy for about 350 that would be an adequate laptop till the new mbps come out and then you could pass it on to a family member or a roommate in need of a comp, having a backup computer is never a bad thing!

7. sekaring macrumors newbie

I bet having a new laptop is good in your school to have more ideas that comes and also you will be in at school. It will help your studies to be more attentive.

8. Thares macrumors regular

Thares

I disagree.
    For example, taking notes with a pen and a piece of paper activates different brain territories. In addition, it's easier and faster than typing. I laptop is useful for writing essays, building presentations and stuff like that.
    When I entered university (Business Psychology), I thought, I'd need a laptop for taking notes et cetera during the lesson. Fail. I got my script lying in front of me and adding notes made by my professor if necessary.

I got a 27" iMac and I'm quite happy. But I certainly want a MacBook to work on the train to my brother's home, to my parents or to my girlfriend. Maybe an Air, maybe the upcoming Pro. 13 inch.

See you around

Daniel

9. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Easier and faster? I don't know about that; I can type at around 90 gwam and, at that rate, anything else pales in comparison (talking, or writing). Of course, when I'm in Organic or Calc, I don't use much of the computer at all.

However, if I'm taking word based notes (Ethics, MicroBio, etc.) then I'm definitely using the computer as I'm able to type exactly what the professor says or writes, when he says/writes it.

10. Thares macrumors regular

Thares

It depends on how your lectures are structured and which learning materials the professor uses. As we're using scripts, we got the most right in front of us and beamed at the wall. In other lectures there may be more to write down.

But handwritten notes are definitely more effective when it's about learning and memorizing.

11. Young Spade macrumors 68020

"For me"; is what you should have put at the end of that.

Personally I'm more efficient, OVERALL, when I type the notes in class using bullet-points, print them out, and then annotate and learn from that, as it's in my own wording (as handwritten would be) and I'm able to have a clean, duplicatable copy that I can do whatever I want to, over and over again.

It's all subjective; I take all Organic Chem and Calc notes by hand but Ethics, Micro Bio, and lab work is done on the computer.

Whatever works best for you is what's best for you.