To buy or to wait, that is the question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HoverPizza, Feb 22, 2008.

1. HoverPizza macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I need some recommendations. My two year old cell phone recently died, and, since I've been extremely tempted by the iphone since it originally came out, I'm wondering if now might be the opportunity to snatch one up. I have heard the (all too common) rumors about a new 3G model coming out sometime this year and a possible price drop rolling around quite soon; both of which have made me a bit hesitant to actually take the plunge and buy one. If I choose to wait it out and buy the iphone when a second generation model is released, I'll probably end up getting a cheap little phone now to hold me over. Yet, man is that iphone tempting me :)

What do you all think I should do? Take the plunge or wait it out? Thanks for all replies :)

2. greenyboy411 macrumors newbie

i was in the same situation as you earlier this week. i finally took the plunge, and i couldnt be happier that i did. yes, there is a new one coming out. it could come out anywhere from may-january. it will definitely include 3g, and posibly more hard drive space and gps. however, everything in the operating system will be the same. apple is basically obligated to keep updating the os because of the payment from the contract. if huge speed wherever you are is a serious issue to you then wait. just remember that if you're not in an urban area, you will likely not get service. the current iphone is absolutely fantastic. edge speed really isn't that bad provided i hold it right (the trick if to flip it horizontal and grab at the top, which literally doubles your speed) you'll do fine. i love my iphone, and provided you can deal with the lack of new-ness in a few months, i couldnt recommend buying one enough.

3. HoverPizza thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome - thanks for the reply. That is a good point that you made about Apple most likely keeping the same OS; that's definitely a good thing in my book. Honestly, I really am leaning into getting an iphone soon, as it's just too tempting, and your reply was very helpful!