to buy or to wait ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ansabakhan, Feb 8, 2012.

1. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i want my dad to upgrade from PC to MAC and was thinking of buying him a 21.5 iMac ... is this a good time to buy or is there a new one coming out soon ... i don't mind waiting 1-2 month...

2. simsaladimbamba

Q2 is a probably date for an updated iMac, as Ivy Bridge chips will be released in March / April 2012, thus Apple might update their iMacs before July. But they only might.

3. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

I would say wait... as the buyer's guide says... (from the time this post was made)
    buy only if you need it - updates soon

so if you don't need it now and your dad doesnt mind keeping his PC for an extra couple of months... then wait till the next iMac. you don't want to be buying an iMac now and a couple of months down the road there is a new imac out.

And iHope you don't mind me asking: what does your dad do on his computer anyway?:apple::apple::apple:

4. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

my dad has never used Mac before so he is ok using PC for few more months.. my dad is using computer for emailing, browsing etc ..very basic stuff.. but i like to keep upgrading my mac's every two years or so .. and a newer model will hold a better value in two years that's the only reason i was thinking of waiting if we are at the end of cycle

5. Arel954 macrumors newbie

hey,
    i heard from a mac store in switzerland today, that the new imac would be coming out march 1st, with i7 processor being the standard one, however i dont know for sure since everyone else seems to think it will be coming out may/june, but i would definitely wait since it should be soon.

6. simsaladimbamba

Apple Store employes don't have access to such information, it is just a guess or an estimate or horse excrement.

7. Arel954 macrumors newbie

oh alright, my bad :) wasnt aware of that, thanks for letting me know

8. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

but after march any time , that's what i am guessing by everyone's comments here

9. Arel954 macrumors newbie

10. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

With what your dad's use is, the current gen is fine. Hell, two generations ago would be fine. Just buy now.

11. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Agreed. Hell my iMac 17" G4 can web surf and email like a champ. :p

Also no hurt in waiting 3 months or so if he doesn't need one atm but the current models will most likely cover everything he intends to do, with an SSD in it would make it very quick.

Wait or buy now, either one will be the right decision, you just have to make it.

12. ZMAN Z28 macrumors newbie

Check the refurbished site. If thats all or mostly what your dad does, you could get him last years version very reasonabl price.

13. nostylluan macrumors member

the best idea is to wait, since they're supposed to upgrade/redesign the imac... somewhere sometime ago some news rumor site said all 2012 will be redesigned.

if you don't care about redesign (if it will be) or if you don't care about upgrades then get one now? its your choice

every year apple upgrades its items, they get more powerful for the same amount of money... so if you wait your computer will last longer, pretty simple dude

the worst part about not waiting now is that its updating soon, they're supposed to update imacs twice a year but its been near a year since they haven't updated... most people think it has to do with april's release of new intel chips

ipads are getting updated in march...

ipods are around august-october

iphones are usually in june-july

imac? where is it this time? should be now... no one knows whats going on besides new intel chips

14. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

I decided to go ahead and order a BTO 27" i7 yesterday. Week after next I have the week off, so wanted to have something to enjoy that week, and I'm also not the type to be bothered by not having the latest and greatest, as long as what I have does what I want quickly and enjoyably.

Despite the fact I did a custom build that said 2 to 4 days until shipping, it actually shipped out today and is due next Tuesday, so it looks like I'll be getting it in plenty of time! :-D

On the one hand it doesn't sound like your Dad is in a particular hurry, so I can understand why you might wait. On the other, if you think the current generation is already way more than enough to give him a big boost and make him really happy, why not give him a headstart on the enjoyment?

I've had some close calls in life, and have learned to not delay fun times too much, because you never know what tomorrow might throw at you!