To buy or wait or skip completely?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chini, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Chini macrumors newbie

Hi guys, sorry that my first post is probably the 89th "to buy or wait" thread you've seen ... today ... but everyone likes personalized advice, no?

I have been using a pay-as-you-go dumbphone. I will be traveling more over the next several months (domestic and overseas), and I think it's time to join the 21st century and get a smartphone. In a perfect world, I'd be able to go out tomorrow and buy an iPhone 5 on T-Mobile.

More realistic options:

1) Buy iPhone 4 now.

1.1) Buy unlocked iPhone. Use for two months. Sell and buy iPhone 5.
    1.2) Buy standard contract iPhone 4. Be stuck with it for two years. Bemoan not waiting for either the newer option or the corresponding drop in price for the current version.

2) Buy a Blackberry Bold now. I get to have a smartphone I can use on my travels and can stay with T-Mobile, which has decent international roaming. Not the worst fate, but I'd be locked into Not an iPhone for two years, unless I pay full retail for an unlocked BB, and if I were going to do that, wouldn't I just pay full retail for the iPhone? I can type pretty quickly on a BB. I actually really liked the one I had in an old job, but then again, I was comparing it to a phone so basic it didn't even have a color screen.

3) Stick with the dumbphone/Touch combination for the next couple of months, popping in local SIMs as necessary, warning people not to call or text more than absolutely necessary, and hoping I'm always near free wi-fi. Or at least make sure I have an ample supply of hard-copy maps and local guides.

4) Variations on the theme?

This would be primarily a personal phone, as work won't be paying for it, but I am sure I will end up emailing and researching on the go if the powers that be get wind of my having the capability to do so. If that changes your advice.

Thanks.

2. Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

I'd do whatever i can to get by with what i have till fall and see what happens with iphone.