To buy or wait Vol. That is the question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lam93, Aug 31, 2011.

  1. lam93 macrumors member

    Aug 12, 2011
    Im in the market for a macbook pro, with rumors swirling around that a new model is on the horizon the quest is should i buy now? Aside from external changes will there be any internal advancements?

    Allow me to switch gears here for sec, the reason why i am in the market for one is because I just got a promotion at my firm, goldman sachs, and received a lofty bonus. I also feel this will increase my productivity.
  2. Liquinn Suspended

    Apr 10, 2011
    I'm waiting, I think you should too. I'd hate to spend $2000+ on a computer today to only find out a new redesigned MBP will be released 6-8 weeks later.

    But it's all rumors, but Apple have to redesign the MBP sometime, I guess.

    Nothing will be able to change my mind from the 2012 17" Macbook Pro. Not even the 27" iMac.
  3. UrsusD macrumors newbie

    Aug 27, 2011
    Vantaa, Finland
    Any computer is old and outdated as soon as you buy it anyway, so it all comes down to this: do you need it? I need one, I'm going to buy MBP next week, if I did have like older MBP or MacBook that worked, I might wait.
  4. Liquinn Suspended

    Apr 10, 2011
    That's up to you if you want to buy a MBP when there's rumors of a redesign, if it was just a new processor with the unibody, I might buy one now.
  5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030


    Jul 30, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I can't imagine they'll update this year. Maybe first quarter next year, or possibly around the time that the Ivy Bridge CPUs are released.

    I would say, if you want to be able to upgrade it yourself (HDD/RAM), I'd probably go for the current MBP.

    If the next model has a more tapered redesign as has been suggested, you can wave goodbye to the Superdrive, you're more than likely not going to be able to upgrade the storage on your own, and whether or not you'll still be able to upgrade RAM without Apple's help is anyone's guess.

    I'd go with the current model. Great machine.
  6. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Mar 14, 2008
    Rumours of a redesign are nothing but rumours, and the only time I've seen them mentioned are by forum members here, not by any reputable source.

    OP, buy away if you need one now, if you can wait, be my guest.
  7. Liquinn Suspended

    Apr 10, 2011
    An Ivy Bridge, USB 3 MBP next year is very possible.

    I'm looking forward to an Ivy Bridge MBP.
  8. NutsNGum macrumors 68030


    Jul 30, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Reputable Source #1

    Reputable Source #2

    Reputable Source #3
  9. alphaod macrumors Core


    Feb 9, 2008
    If you feel that this purchase will increase your productivity, you should go and buy it immediately; don't waste time worrying about updates that may or may not come.

    If they do come soon (not that I think they would), you already increased your productivity in the meantime which should already make it a worthwhile investment. If an update comes a lot later, than again you saved time, increased productivity, and it would prove to be a good investment in the meantime.

    Happy buying!
  10. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

    Oct 14, 2008
    If you need it, buy it. If you don't, then don't. I played that game for 3 years, started researching the MacBook when the first unibody came out in October 2008, didn't buy then and kept talking myself out of it. Finally bought one about a month ago and LOVE IT! You don't know what you're missing until you start using it, this thing is awesome.
  11. Tanax macrumors 6502a

    Jun 15, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    God, I hope they don't do them air-like. If I wanted air, I'd buy an air. I like the sturdyness of the MBP. I like that size, it's not clumsy, it's not too thin. It's perfect the way it is.

    Only thing I'd actually want as far as redesigning goes is some more I/O options like HDMI and USB3 -- although USB3 will probably not be supported until Ivy Bridge.

Share This Page