to buy the MBP 13" or 15"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wabbits, Jan 20, 2011.

1. wabbits macrumors newbie

A friend is going to be traveling in Europe and wants a MacBook Pro. She anticipates using it for:
    - writing
    - surfing the net
    - as my primary phone (skype/ichatAV i think?)
    - to stream radio and watch TV/videos/DVD/movies etc.
    I suggested a MacBook but she likes the idea that the MBPs have more 'bells and whistles' and she wants the silver body color. She also likes the 15" because they have the new i5 i7 processors, and she doesn't want "older technology," and cost isn't a great concern. Given her needs, I still think the 13" will be plenty fast enough for her, and she will probably appreciate the portability (and battery life?) I think what frightens her most is the idea of buying something that isn't the 'latest technology,' but that will always be the case. I see people suggesting to wait until may for sandy bridge, but I don't think she can wait 4 months. Is there any real reason for her to get the 15" over the 13?
    thanks.

2. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

She certainly doesn't sound like someone who needs an i5 or i7, but if she has money to spare… If she has to, the 13" is a great laptop and the battery life is scarily good.

Personally I wouldn't take any laptop on a travelling trip with me. It's a time to look around you and soak in culture. Any emergency facebooking can be done on the computers they have at every hostel I have ever seen in Europe. Trip of a life time, no need to watch DVDs!

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

The 13" is up to running all the requirements and is much more portable, whilst still having the same great keyboard and trackpad as the 15". I certainly appreciate the difference in lugging around my 13" compared to the 15" that preceded it. No real need for an i7.

I'd be tempted to suggest an Air instead but it lacks an optical drive.

4. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

go 13".. the 15" might be a bit "heavy" for traveling purposes,
    i was gonna suggest iPad, but saw the DVD so changed my mind.

go 13" [i have it too!)