To case or not to case, that is my question

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mightyjabba, Sep 29, 2014.

1. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

So I've had an iPhone 6 Plus on order from AT&T since the Pleistocene age, which has given me plenty of time to think about things like cases. I've never used a case on a phone before. I've just never liked them. Why buy a sleek device if you're going to put it in something that makes it look all plastic and clunky? I've never done any appreciable damage to any of my phones, since I'm careful and always keep my phone in my pocket with nothing else. However, I'm willing to concede that I may have been lucky up until now, and I'm concerned that the 6 Plus may be more fragile than previous devices with its large screen and thin body.

If I was going to buy a case out of the ones I've seen so far, I'd probably choose one of the Apple silicone cases. But it seems to me that they would provide very little protection in the case of a drop, and in the end that's the only reason I would be getting a case in the first place. I don't care about minor wear or scratches on the body of the phone, but a smashed screen is a big deal. Am I correct in thinking that the Apple cases are really more for preventing cosmetic damage? Is there a case that would definitely provide good protection for drops while still remaining slim and unobtrusive? I really can't stand the "Otterbox style" of case.

The other option I am considering is SquareTrade insurance and going naked (also, not using a case :D). But with the deductibles involved, it seems like you'd have to drop your phone multiple times to come out ahead, and I don't think that's likely for me.

Any ideas?

2. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

The slimmer the case, the less protection it will offer. The one exception may be the Tech21 cases that use a non-Newtonian liquid to provide drop protection. I haven't used them myself, so I can't speak to their effectiveness, or how much bulk they add to the phone. But in theory they should be a good combination of slimness and protection. I don't think they have a 6+ version out yet.

If drop protection is your main concern, you're going to want something like a Speck Candyshell. I think Otterbox would drive you insane for how aesthetically distressing they are, but Speck offers good protection and reasonably good looks, but the look will definitely be "phone in case". Again I think Speck may not yet have released their 6+ cases.

If aesthetics are your main concern, the Apple silicone cases will give you some drop protection and maintain the slimline factor of the phone. After that I'd recommend a solid TPU case like one from Diztronic. TPU is a good combination of protection and slimness, and since it's plastic can be had in a variety of colors that complement your phone, or you can get many of them clear if you want to show off the original styling (but beware of yellowing over time).

Hope that helps!

3. Jd3774life macrumors regular

Jd3774life

Honestly Speck Candyshell is amazing. I had it on my 5S and I honestly dropped it out of my lap when getting out of the car into parking lots/driveway.. hundreds of times haha. No dings or scratches to my 5S ever.

They aren't out yet for the 6+.. I'm waiting patiently for them! Debating on getting apple leather/silicone but they don't protect the bottom portion of the phone..

Right now I am using a spigen clear case I think it is called air cushion or something, but it actually works pretty well. Almost like a slimmer Candyshell type case (less padding inside obv. though)

4. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

5. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502

The Candyshells are really thick. The 6 Plus is already sort of tough to hold as is. Won't a Candyshell make it unbearably thick?

6. Jd3774life macrumors regular

Jd3774life

Not that thick. Much slimmer than otter box/life proof and still give very good protection to drops.

7. meistervu macrumors 65816

Holy smoke, I emptied my wallet the minute you mentioned non-Newtonian liquid.

8. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

I know, sounds awesome, right? But a little less cool when you realize ketchup is also a non-Newtonian fluid. ;)

I like the idea behind the Tech21 cases, but I find them to be quite ugly.

9. mightyjabba thread starter macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Thanks for the responses so far. One thing that I had forgotten to take into consideration when I was thinking about the types of cases was that simply having a case can make the phone easier to grip, reducing the chances of a drop. Even if a case doesn't give a lot of protection when you actually drop the phone, it might be worthwhile to use it if it keeps you from dropping it in the first place. In that sense, the Apple Silicone case might not be such a bad idea. Just wish they weren't backordered on Apple's site. Sorry if this is obvious, but as a case newbie I think I was too focused on what would happen during a drop and not on what might prevent one.

10. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Is there an Apple Store near you? They have test leather and silicone cases that you can put on your phone to see if they're useful to you. And they will have cases in stock as well. You can also see if your local Best Buy has gotten them in stock yet, as some have.

11. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

I didn't see any test cases at my Apple Store yesterday? Maybe I missed it but I doubt it, I was there staring for 10 minutes deciding what color I wanted.

12. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Did you ask an employee? They were out on a table, not next to the case rack at the store I went to.