To case or not to case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by skeen, Nov 24, 2007.

?

Do you agree with 'casing' the iPhone?

1. Yes, it's the smart thing to do - a case will provide protection against damage

20 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. No, the iPhone is durable enough, and a case would make it look horrible. Cases are lame!

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  3. There are certain circumstances where a case would be of some use

15 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. skeen macrumors 6502

I'm not going to get a case for my iPhone - it would make it bigger, and clunky, and it seems like a durable enough device anyway. Plus, and let's admit it, a good part of the appeal is how good looking it is - a case would definitely take away from that, making it look like any other phone, which of course know it isn't!

So I ask your opinions - do you think a case is really necessary? Personally, I think they're lame.

2. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

if you think cases are lame already, why do you care what other people think about them? :confused: :rolleyes:

most people want to encourage discussion because a topic is important to them or they are undecided and would like to hear other viewpoints. what's the point of this if you have your mind made up already?

3. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I prefer static cling sheets to prevent scratches. I dont like cases much though.

4. skeen thread starter macrumors 6502

Because what people think interests me. Quite simple, really.

5. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

what total strangers think about the use of an item you think is lame interests you? ah, yes. how logical and completely normal. thanks for clearing that one up.

6. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Generally I am not keen on cases because they tend to spoil the form factor, but I do recognise their value in preventing impact damage in the event of a drop (which happens to us all sooner or later).

I don't use a case myself but I do believe that the iPhone needs protection from scratches, particularly the chrome bezel, so my solution is the Power Support Crystal Film Screen Protector, and the BestSkinsEver for everything but the screen. Excellent combination!

7. skeen thread starter macrumors 6502

This is often referred to as a discussion, and this is a discussion board. :) Bother someone else.

8. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Nicely put. :)

9. autumnsong macrumors member

autumnsong

I have been struggling with the decision to use a case or not. I think the phone is beautiful and a case takes away from that. I have also already dropped it once (thankfully on a rug) so I worry about it getting hurt. I bought an iskin revo and really like the extra grip, but it does take away from the looks. My istyles skins came in today and they look really nice. They also add a bit of grip to the back, while keeping the basic look of the phone in tact. My only problem with the skins is they don't cover the sides, where I tend to grab my phone to pick it up, leaving it slippery. The quest for the perfect answer continues... :rolleyes:

10. skeen thread starter macrumors 6502

Aren't cases primarily used to protect your device from damage that would affect the appearance? It's unlikely that your phone is going to break simply from dropping it - people have reported dropping it concrete numerous times, and it being fine.

What does the appearance of the phone matter if no one will ever get to see it? If it's constantly encased? It's counterintuitive.

11. chriseh macrumors newbie

I agree, just got an iPhone, and to cover it with a case, well that defeats the purpose of its intended design. Putting on a stretched rubber case really kicks the Apple design down the stairs and covering the phone with a plastic see through case reminds me of my mother's plastic furniture covers.

So my phone has no case - I use the design as intended. ...okay maybe a really thin wrapper like the Sena "Ultra thin pouch cover" ...but that's it! ...I have to protect the phone from the keys in my pocket.:eek:

12. autumnsong macrumors member

autumnsong

I may have found a happy medium:

Attached Files:

13. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

I do not generally like cases since i do think that they take away from the aesthetics of the phone; however, I did get a case to carry my phone on my waist to prevent damage in my pocket. I still have minor damage around the edge of the phone but the screen is in good shape. I am thinking about getting rubbe if I get an iphone 2 since it does suck to have cosmetic damage on such an expensive phone.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I wasn't going to but I was finding I was a bit paranoid about it so I picked up the Power Support Crystal Case. It's a hard case offering no real screen protection except the static cling screen protector that people say you do not need. I find it adds 1.3-1.6mm thickness to the phone but it lets me handle it easier. Plus, in the end it is a phone and I'm sure it'll get scratched.

15. csi24 macrumors member

csi24

Is anyone using a foofbag for their iPhone? When I get mine I'm thinking about picking one of those up. Do they work well, do they slip out of the case if it's in your pocket?

16. bingee macrumors member

Slippery sides

I am terrified of getting my phone out of my pocket only to loose grip on the slippery sides and fling it across the car park.
    For this reason I am buying a case even though it will spoil a design classic.
    If only you could by side grips.