To change everything? (Ipod Touch, Cinema and Macbook Pro 13"-> Imac?)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hj12345, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Hj12345 macrumors member

Before back-to-School campaign ran out I ordered a Macbook Pro 13 ", an Apple Cinema 24# and an iPod Touch (8GB). Ipod Touch was meant that I would sell and therefore do better business in force with the computer and the Cinema - and you get back quite a lot of money for Apple (BTS), and then you get also money when you sell it forward - then we can say that I had paid $2563 for the screen and the computer instead of $3004 dollars that I pay now.

But since the computer and the screen has not been sent, even though it's been almost four days since I ordered and the promised delivery time was 24 hours, have I begun to change my mind a bit. Since the new iPod touch (8GB) has not changed, but received a lesser price, I wonder what price will I get when I sell it. And Apple display feels a bit to good for me, really, for it is very expensive to be a screen - it´s the same screen in the iMac 24", right? How big is the difference between 2.66 GHz and 2.93? When you buy 2.93 is also a better video card - is it as good to buy it?

How would you have done in my clothes? I'm thinking namely to cancel those orders and instead buy an iMac, because it feels as if I get more value there - I almost never travel, and a laptop seems like a bit wrong for me if I did not move me - but why I bought the Macbook Pro 13 "was because it is much newer (better hardware) than the iMac.

Help a lost man. The things has not yet been sent, so I can cancel at any time.

2. Olivier L. macrumors member

I am afraid nobody can really decide for you.

Were you too quick to order, without really taking time to think what you need, want or can afford,
    Or are you simply changing your mind endlessly, just because the package is late?

Anyway, if you know that you don't need portability, then indeed the iMac may be a better bargain.

The Cinema Display is I think better than the iMac display, but it is still more expensive than equivalent or better displays by other manufacturers. What do you do on this computer? Have you special requirements on the display?

3. Hj12345 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I know it's difficult for you to decide what me to buy, etc., which all have different needs - but in terms of the common man - what would you buy: an iMac or Macbook 13" with an Apple Cinema today for your personal needs?

And then I wonder if the screen of the cheapest 24" model is the same as in the most expensive model? As I fix with pictures (it happens, but not so often), surf on the WWW, listening to music, make program and play games (Counter-strike etc, not high-performance games) - maybe the cheapest 24 model is fit for my needs? NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics is the same video card that I would had in my Macbook Pro 13", and together with the screen you get the iMac 24", so maybe the Imac still is the best for choice me?

Someone who has a link to a test between the iMac and Cinema? iMac was last updated in March, and the new Cineman came just over a year ago, so don´t you think it should be the same monitor in these two machines?

And last but not least, an off-topic question from my side: I think there are many people who were a bit disappointed in the recent media event, even though it was promised as an event for media (iTunes / iPod). I feel when I read the forums that people were disappointed. Last year in October, so Apple had an unexpectedly event where they launched the new MacBook design and Cinema - is it not possible that this is the staple of year again where they might update the iMac and Mac Pro?

4. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I think the 13" MBP is the best deal of them all right now. The portability is nice, and you may find that its nice to be able to move from your office to the couch, to your buddies house with your computer. It is probably one of the most satisfying product Apple offers as so many people on this forum love their new 13" MBP. (Some complain about the gloss, but it doesn't bother me, or most others.) You can be assured that since the 13" MBP got SO many new improvements just a few months ago, that it won't be updated any time soon, and when it is, there probably won't be that HUGE an improvement.

Whether or not you need the cinema display is up to you, but I think the 13" MBP is a great computer and in getting one, you will join a number of satisfied customers who own one too.

My 2cents.

5. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

I find it hard to believe that the iMac and the LED Display have the same panel, but its possible. The 24" iMac will have the same panel high or low end.

If it was me, I'd buy a laptop, like the one you chose or even a 13" model. Then I wouldn't buy a LED Display from Apple and search for a monitor from someone else. Dell has a nice $300 monitor. That would be my ideal set-up because you get the best of both worlds.

6. Hj12345 thread starter macrumors member

That sounds not wrong - I mean...it seems excessive to pay so much for the Cinema, where you can get the same screen (not the same design, but anyway) for half price.
    But I am, as the Apple fanboy, afraid to mix Apple and Dell (two completely different worlds in the computer scene), but it may be that Dell actually makes good screen now?

Dell screen that I have looked at before, U2410 Dell UltraSharp (http://korta.nu/e789) - in Sweden is the price of $711, which is a bit less than what I paid for Apple Cinema. Dell has also more colors, but if it has no meaning I do not know.

7. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

It's pretty much up to you...

I ended up getting a 15" with a soon-to-come 24" Cinema Display because it suited my needs the best... the things that helped me decide were:

- I really wanted to get the Mac Pro Octo 2.66, but after careful deliberation decided that it was too much for what I needed to do right now... in a couple years, sure, I'll get something hefty if I need it, but right now I don't really need all that power (PLUS: maybe my new job will buy it for me, BONUS!)
    - this led me to choose between an iMac and a MBP: ultimately, even though I wanted a big screen to do my work on, I also wanted portability when I needed it for presentations, etc. That led me to a MBP plus an external monitor...
    - I ruled out the 13" and the Air because I don't plan on being portable THAT much, and the extra screen real estate, processing power and discrete graphics will come in handy... so the 15" seemed like the ideal machine.

So, what it comes down to is what do you want with respect to what you actually need? If you're not going portable AT ALL, then get the iMac. If portability is somewhat a concern, then you need to rule out the iMac completely. The criteria is fairly simple, but the actual decision is not... I know what you're going through, I was just there.

As far as the monitor goes, I decided to go with the Apple LED partly because of the magsafe connection, which will allow me to take the included MBP power adapter with me and still have a charging station at home. I'll admit that aesthetics were a factor, as was the quality of the LED panel. The student discount helped some, at least enough so that in combination with the other reasons, I felt comfortable enough spending the extra money for the Apple LED.

I can't really say too much about your situation, because everyone is unique, but I hope that my thought process might help with your own.

8. Freyqq macrumors 68040

DVI is DVI lol..there is no incompatibility between macs and dell, etc monitors..just make sure you get that mini-dp->dvi adapter and you're good

the dell lcd quality on the 24" is supposably one of the best available in that price-range..just the casing isn't as pretty as apple's lol

9. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

the 13" macbook pro atm is the best of the range in my opinion for price to quality. it generally can do anything you through at it and will be the best option [​IMG] if you have the money, you could get the 15 or even 17... but yeah I think the MBP