To Charge iPad All I Need is White Power Brick right?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HappyDude20, Nov 15, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Here's my dilemma.

I can buy an iPad charger from griffin for $30 at the store or I can buy just that white little power brick cube for $5, and use one of the plethora of iPod cables I have at home, hoping that would work.

Would it?????

2. hcho3 macrumors 68030

What power brick... you talking about?
    They should tell you whether it can charge iPad or not. If you can afford 500 dollars tablet, then you should be able to buy chargers as well.
    Also, it should have come with charger.

3. caubeck macrumors 6502

Most generic iPhone chargers only charge iPhones and iPods properly. The iPad one looks the same but isn't.

You'll be saying "Doh!" in no time.

4. yourwiseguy macrumors regular

yourwiseguy

LOL! Clever ;) My iPad came with the little white brick that has a USB port for your iPad charger (or iPhone or iTouch charger). Make sure it has the USB and I think you'll be fine. It's only $5 for crying out loud!

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

iPad specific charger charge much faster. Otherwise it's slow.

However, the iPhone charger still charges iPad over night.

6. sman789, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2010

sman789 Customer Support

sman789

Iphone charger outputs 5V-1A, the iPad charger outputs 5.1V-2.1A

I use my iphone charger on it exclusively.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I use the little cubes all the time on my iPad. They take longer to charge because they are only 5w and the iPad will not charge and be on at the same time.

8. rikbrown macrumors regular

Inversely, is it okay to use my iPad charger to charge my iPhone 4? I certainly have been doing that, hope I haven't been damaging it. (It also fits on the iPad dock sort of!).

9. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

The iPhone charger is 5 watts. The iPad charger is 10 watts. It sucks charging an iPad from an iPhone charger if you have more than 10% that needs charging.

Either stick with the iPad charger (the 10 watt one), or buy one of these: http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powerjolt-micro-ipad

And yes, you can charge your iPhone 4 from your iPad charger, it's safe because it will "step down" the wattage for it. It's also safe to charge an iPad from an iPhone charger too, it's just slow as all get-out.

I need to buy a 2nd iPad charger (or go with the Griffin one). During the work week I keep the iPad plugged into the charger and then take the iPad home at night with no charger. Then bring the charger home on the weekends when I'm using it more heavily.

10. bniu macrumors 6502a

you're fine. 10W will simply scale itself down to 5W for iphone charging. In fact, in an effort to streamline the types of chargers I have in my house, I got rid of my 5W chargers and replaced them all with 10W chargers. Even my car charger is the 10W variety. I also have a bunch of macbook pro 85W chargers sitting around the house, perfect for any macbook model out there. Never have to worry about "is my charger fast enough?"

11. tf- macrumors newbie

new charger for iPad

I got this charger from Revolve for my iPhone - it works really well on the iPhone, but its 6 watt output isn't really enough for iPad. But, I saw on their website that they have a new charger coming out with enough juice for iPad. If the new one works as well on iPad as mine does on the iPhone, it'll be a "must have". It looks awesome too. check it... http://www.revolveusa.com/index.php?p=1_55

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You know what is the best way to afford a $500 gadget? Not overpaying for everything just because you can.

13. Muscleflex macrumors 6502

what are you guys talking about 5w and 10w? the chargers specifically state output as being 1a and 2.1.... so where is the 10w coming from? i know the ipad charger says 10w on it but output is at 5.1v 2.1a...

14. DeuxIt macrumors member

watts (w) = volts (v) times amps (a)

10w = 5v x 2a

15. gh0001 macrumors member

good to know. i have always wondered if i could charge my iphone with the ipad charger.

16. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

So the cube is iPad specific but what about the cable with the USB and dock connector, are they exactly the same?

17. Muscleflex macrumors 6502

lol - i'd buy you a drink if i knew you!!! i have no idea why i was thinking watts is amps!
    thanks for that! :D

now saying this... does the ipad NEED 10w then? or is it fine to use the iphone charger for the ipad? i like slow charging my toys!

18. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

If you plug the iPad into an old 5W charger, it will display "Not Charging" in the upper right corner where it would normally show you the zippy "I'm charging" symbol. Most folks would find this disconcerting. ;) As others have said, it will actually charge *very* slowly as long as it's not in use.

The 10W charger does a full recharge in about 3 hours, so it is not exactly a harsh, fast charger.