To confirm, student 3 year warranty only applies to online orders ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sarngate, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Sarngate macrumors regular

If this is the case i won't be buying in store. Cheers.

2. Grouchy Bob macrumors regular

If you can wait...

Try Amazon. Depending on where you live, the lack of sales tax generally makes up for the educational discount. (Amazon taxes me though).

So what I do is order from B&H. They eventually sell their MB's for about $50 less, no sales tax, fast and free shipping and they throw in a copy of Parallels.

3. bryanxxx macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I bought my MacBook pro last night in store and I was offered every promo online has.

4. peskaa, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

5. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I wish Apple would phase out Applecare and just provide a three year warranty on everything by default. If Dell can do it, Apple can, and they certainly have the margins for it.

Think of the customer goodwill they would get if they did it. They could provide a gift card or some sort of promotion for existing AppleCare holders so they wouldn't get upset they paid into it, also.

6. Hornzog macrumors member

NO.

Well not in the UK anyway.. I phoned up yesterday to check if the student discount applied in store to MBPs and they said yes. He also offered me 3 years of applecare with student discount £200 -> £50.

So I went ahead yesterday and bought a new 13" along with applecare and saved around £300 in total.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see that someone had already posted an answer!

7. Edmoil12 macrumors member

Apple is a business after all, and it doesn't make sense to give something away for free which so many people are willing to pay for. You say poor customers, I say poor shareholders.

8. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

I just got a MBP under the FE discount scheme, and was offered AppleCare for £120. At £50-60 I'd have bought it. I think different stores tell you different things...

9. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

FE discount is not the same as HE. The FE discount is a lot less...

10. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I'm a shareholder.

When I see people complain that Dell offers a 3 year warranty at no extra charge and Apple doesn't, it makes Apple look bad.

I think the greater good would be if they phased out AppleCare.

11. orangepeel macrumors member

Apple like most retail stores have some lattitude to give prospective customers incentives to close the sale. Sometimes people are offered better deals than others. It usually depends on how how much they need the sale.

12. Red-red macrumors 6502

You aren't buying a dell.

13. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

It doesn't work like that! The 3 year warranty is not included as standard in store (Applecare is available for ~£40).

The 3 year warranty is inlcuded online/phone.

I made a thread here on the subject http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1103022

14. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Reading the agreement document suggested that FE colleges were included... the prices given on the website are different from those in the store's folder of discounts, and different from what I hear people are getting here...

15. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Store discounts are not the same as the ones online/phone as they aren't the ones agreed nationally via the contract - instead they are simply prices that Apple retail decide on to keep it competitive (and not have students being turned away from stores). Usually the stores just stick in a percentage discount that gets them in to the ballpark, rather than exact figures.

FE discount is about 5%. HE in store is around 15%, but varies from item to item, and the online/phone HE goes from 14-17%, again depending upon item.

16. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Wow! That thread was some effort... well done!

Just to add that when you pay the £40-£50, you are simply upgrading the 3-year warranty (with 3-months phone support) to full AppleCare. In other words, you'd be paying to upgrade the phone-support to 3-years. Sorry if it was already mentioned, just didn't have time to read your thread to completion.

17. lshirase macrumors regular

hyundai offers a 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty.

bmw offers a 4 year / 50,000 mile warranty.

if you want the 10 year warranty, go buy a hyundai :)