To Do app with Reminders?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by icewing, Sep 6, 2008.

1. icewing macrumors 6502

Searched here and looked in App Store, downloaded some free apps but can't find what I'm looking for.

On my Treo 650, I could add a repeating task with a reminder. For example, to put out the trash can on Sunday night because they come REAL early Monday mornings. This was set to repeat every week, and to KEEP reminding me until I checked it complete.

Another I had was to replace my furnace filters every 3 months, that stayed until I checked it complete, and then it would reset from that point for another 3 months.

Another thing I dislike is that if I have a meeting set up in the calendar, it shows up on my unlock screen, but then as soon as I "slide to unlock" the phone the reminder goes away.

I'd like a Calendar and/or Task Manager that would show me a list of things that need to be done. None of the apps I've looked at so far have ANY kind of Repeat capability, you have to enter another task.

One of the things I really like about Outlook is that when you snooze an alarm or reminder, it lets you select from a dropdown how long to snooze for, 5 mins, 10 mins, all the way up to hours, days, etc.

Thanks!

2. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

App store apps can NOT(at this time) run in the background.
    Either use the built in iCal option or get some service (Jott?) that will call you to remind you of appointments?

3. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Things is an excellent GTD/To-Do manager with the ability to create repeat events (but not alarms yet, due to the restrictions already mentioned). However, it's only available for iPhone and Mac, not PC (which I guess you are using because you used the dreaded O word). If you don't need PC to iPhone sync, though, it might still be worth looking at in the App Store.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

ToDo by Appigo has the ability to repeat the way you are looking for. It can repeat from a fixed date or from the date of completion. It does not do reminders for the tasks unfortunately. I use this program and highly recommend it.

5. icewing thread starter macrumors 6502

yes, unfortunately have to use my company laptop for the calendar. I've got an iMac but haven't wanted to tackle trying to sync with two different machines (have only had the phone 6 days!)

Thanks for the replies - will either of these apps at least show a badge on their icon when you have something due?

6. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Yep, Things does. It shows you how many items you have in "Today".

7. powermixx macrumors member

This sucks the BIG ONE! I also had a Treo 650 and jumped ship to the Deathstar and I can't believe the iPhone (which has been out for nearly 1.5 years) still CAN NOT sync a silly reminder list. I use them all the time. Because of this major goof up from Micros...oh I mean Apple, i just add them ON my phone - since it's with me all the time. Crazy.

BOOOOOO Apple. Cmon. :(:(:(:(:(:(

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes, ToDo shows a badge.

http://www.appigo.com/todo/faqs.html#q14

Attached Files:

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

But just to reiterate the point that your linked FAQ statement makes... if you didn't run To Do today, then it won't show you today's to do's as a badge. I.E. you cannot use this badge in the way of, say, getting up in the morning, unlocking your iPhone, looking at the badge on the Mail icon to see how many unread mails you got overnight. Because it won't update until you've manually run the program that day.

10. marisa8184 macrumors newbie

I'm hoping that the new PI for iPhone will do all this and more. But, the only idea of release date that we have is 4th Quarter, so from now until Xmas.

11. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

The only one I like is ReQall. It can send reminders via email, IM and text message. The info is stored on a server instead of the iphone. Can also edit via web, phone and IM.

12. sergeant2u macrumors newbie

sergeant2u

To Do List Workaround

I've recently converted to Macs from MS and WM and haven't regretted it but I do miss the ability to use PI. Been using it since it was introduced. I came up with a simple workaround for creating and syncing tasks that is holding me over till PI for iPhone is released.

First I created a calendar in iCal titled Task List. Pick your own poison there. Then I created a daily recurring event in iCal titled the same. In the notes section I maintain a bulleted list of tasks that I add to or delete from by editing the notes on a given day and select the "edit future events" option each time. For added functionality I am in the process of grouping tasks in separate paragraphs by start date with the start date as a header for each paragraph.

This is admittedly a little rudimentary vs. PI or Things but it will suit my needs till PI is released. It also gives me a few advantages. It's simple, free, syncs perfectly with my existing iCal and allows me to reference my tasks while checking my daily appts. w/o having to open another program.

I can't vouch for how well this will work in MobileMe but from what I have read so far I don't see why it wouldn't work for a push sync solution for tasks. Feel free to run with this Steve just don't charge me for it. Been feeling a little nickel and dimed here lately.