To-do application for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by guitargoddsjm, Jun 27, 2010.

1. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

I'm looking for a to-do/task management solution for my mac. I'd like it to be able to wirelessly sync somehow to my iPhone as well, whether it's through wifi or the cloud.

I really like Things, but the combination of mac/iphone software is more than I'd like to spend at the moment...

If possible, I'd rather not pay (much) for it...

Post any suggestions/comments!

2. guitargoddsjm thread starter macrumors 6502

Would you consider an OmniFocus solution to be better than Things?

Pricewise though, this suggestion doesn't help too much. Factoring in an edu discount, it's $10 more than Things for mac+iphone

3. Queso macrumors G4

Having never used Things I can't compare the two, but I am a big user of OmniGroup apps and they are always high quality.

4. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

5. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

Toodledo. Works great on iphone, per a friend that has it on his. I'm using it myself on my droid and love it. Platform independent, and very flexible. And free.

6. IronLogik macrumors 6502

DO NOT use Things. I repeat. DO NOT.

Just read their forums. A vast majority of their users are dissatisfied due to a lot of reasons. The biggest one, they refuse to communicate with their users and even when they do they fail at that.

Features that have been promised for a long time have yet to show up.

I'd recommend OmniFocus as well. It's more complex but it has just about everything you would ever want an application to do. Try the demo and read Getting Things Done by David Allen. It'll make a lot of sense then.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The Hit List. It's better than OmniFocus, Things, iCal, etc. Best GTD ever.

8. juliainor macrumors member

If price is a big concern and your needs aren't terribly complex, I'd go with Toodledo or Remember the Milk. Both are free and pretty darn good.

I personally use OmniFocus and really love it. I'd recommend it highly to anyone.

I own Things and used it for a while, but got frustrated with the snail's pace of development. Syncing is so busted it's ridiculous and they push out a new iPad app instead of fixing a core functionality of what's already there. That's when I bought OF and gave up on Things.

As far as The Hit List, unless you like to shell out $40 for a piece of apparent abandonware that is still in beta (after much more than a year), I'd avoid it. It's a shame - it's a nice piece of software and has real potential but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

9. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

IMO...2Do is the best iPhone "to do" app and I've tried most. Beautiful UI and easy to use. It has a free companion app for the Mac (PC also) so you can sync it with iCal.

It's made by the same people as Groups...which is a very popular "contacts" apps.

Both apps cost a little (2Do @ $6.99 and Groups 2 @ $2.99). But you get what you pay for. These are two of the apps that for me are must have apps for the iPhone. Especially Groups. Both apps are continually updated are are very slick apps.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/2Do-A-Stunning-To-Do-List/178243130907

10. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

It was just updated.

11. juliainor macrumors member

Do you mean The Hit List? These are their release notes. This doesn't give me confidence it's ever going to be a viable product. It's been almost 9 months since any update beyond a beta expiration extension.

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It's much better than Things and the UI is much easier to understand than OmniFocus. The Hit List is simple yet powerful. I tried a demo of OmniFocus and I spend more time figuring out how it worked than getting anything useful done. The Hit List FTW.

13. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Yes. It was updated a few days ago.

14. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I use Appigo Todo to sync my iCal todo list to my iPhone.

15. jeremyisweary macrumors member

jeremyisweary

I wouldn't trust The Hit List right now. Even if there was just an update (with what new features?), it's been too stagnant for too long. I was thinking about switching to it from Things (Largely stagnant as well. Too expensive to be so limited.), but I hear the guy isn't answering emails and their Twitter page all of sudden stopped in December. I don't feel comfortable investing time and info (even if I don't purchase a pre-order) a product that I don't know will be around for the long haul.

16. Diefenbonkers macrumors newbie

it's actually quite sad about The Hit List. I was using it and frankly preferred it over both Things and Omnifocus. However, the betas expire with the result that you are locked out of the application. The Hit List forums are replete with users (and worse, people who pre-purchased the app) who are not getting any response from the developer, no releases with further features/fixes and the only "peeps" are beta extensions a couple of days before expiry - certainly feels like abandon-ware. Regrettably, I just couldn't justify the risk in putting all of my projects/tasks into the Hit List and ended up purchasing Omnifocus.