Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tombarnes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Surrey, United Kingdom
...another recommendations thread I'm afraid!

Anyone recommend a good to do list application? There are a couple on the app store, but they all seem fairly similar, but prices range from £1.19 to £5.99. Anyone get on with one in particular?

It will be used for basic task organisation. Mainly for my forgetfulness at the grand old age of 23. Having tasks in categories is a must.

Thank in advance!

Tom

Gokunama

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
I use Pocket Informant, a task and event manager. It's been great so far, and I quite like having my tasks in the same view as my events. Superb app, and tasks syncs to Toodledo, while events sync to Google Calendar.

But if you're just looking for a task manager, I found Todo (by Appigo) great. Nice interface and graphics, and loads of other great features.

I haven't tried Things or Omnifocus, but I've heard good things about both.

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
You should check out ToodleDo. It's the cheapest among them out there. Plus, if you set up a Google Calendar, you can add ToodleDo to it. Very nice combination.

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
OmniFocus allows alot of customization but that is the problem... I felt like I was always tweaking things instead of focusing on my tasks..

Things is awesome and so is the desktop app. It feels like an Apple native app. Highly recommended!

fredf

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2008
it depends on what you want to do. i'm new to the iPhone and so haven't tried a lot of apps, but the free app 'to do's' works just find for me. it is very simple and show on the icon, on your home page, how many outstanding items there are without having to open the app.
it's basic but it's very easy to add stuff and see them.
if that works for you I would download it.

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
it depends on what you want to do. i'm new to the iPhone and so haven't tried a lot of apps, but the free app 'to do's' works just find for me. it is very simple and show on the icon, on your home page, how many outstanding items there are without having to open the app.
it's basic but it's very easy to add stuff and see them.
if that works for you I would download it.

True. The benefit of pay apps like Omnifocus and Things is their integration with desktop apps...

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
I used to use Things (both Mac and iPhone versions)....it's overkill for me.

I've changed over to EasyTask Manager. The iPhone app is free, and there is full functionality (including syncing to the iPhone app via WiFi) in the demo mode of the Mac desktop app, as long as you don't go over 20 active tasks (meaning that the demo doesn't count closed/completed tasks). So, if you keep your to do list short.....you get the idea.

If you need more active tasks, then it's $19.99, which is pretty economical for the two apps and the functionality.

They also have a Windows desktop EasyTask app, but I've no experience with it.

Just a happy user, not affiliated.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
I use ToDo by Appigo. It's customizable but not overly so. It's UI is beautiful and their update with push notifications has been submitted to Apple.

musr

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
So is there any way that Pocket Informant can show completed tasks or leave them on the screen? When I check them they disappear and it makes me nervous.

njl

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2009
SAT
ToDo by Appigo is great (the app itself), BUT the syncing just doesn't work...at all for me and both my Macs..

Their customer service is lacking, they don't return emails in a timely manner, but once they do, they are actually nice peeps, but have yet to assist.

If the syncing app actually worked, to me it would be a flawless paid app (like 1password)

As well, I just started doing my todo lists via notes and mail.. oh well.

JMHO

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I like "Done". Everything I need, nothing I don't. Sweet lookin' to boot.

todo-list.jpg

Fantom555

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2007
New York City
Which app is best to use that works with built in ical or entourage. i want to have a list that shows up on my desktop with out opening another app to use it. i love having it all in one just like a BB any recommendations on a nice todo with syncing.

tombarnes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Surrey, United Kingdom
Thanks for all the replies.

After looking through some of the suggestions, I have realised exactly what features I'd like.

- Ability to create group or folder. For example, a folder called 'Plan Holiday' with sub tasks of 'buy insurance', 'buy currency' etc.
- Ability to check off completed tasks
- Completed (ticked off) tasks are still displayed until deleted by me.

And not much else!

I know I'm fussy, but £5.99 for an app such as 'things' seems alot. But I'll fork out if there isn't a cheaper one that'll do the above.

Any further suggestions now I know what I want?

Thanks for your help guys and gals.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I'd definitely go with Todo. The checklist feature is exactly what you're looking for. It works beautifully (I use it as a shopping list as well). It gives you a choice of how long you want completed tasks to stick around. Pretty sure there's an option for "Until I delete".

The free version is limited to 10 tasks (not sure how that works with checklists though) but the paid version is $9.99 and definitely worth it. As mentioned above push notifications are on the way.

wmf

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2009
Pacific Northwest
Additional question

I came to post a similar question but will post it here in this similar thread instead of starting a new one.

These are the to do features I need or want:

• I would like a to do list that syncs with my mac. This is my primary need
    I don't need it to sync with a specific app. I just want to be able to make a list (not a calendar) like I might on a sticky on desktop, or piece of paper, view and edit it on my itouch and mac and sync between.
    (I tried evernote which seems promising but have found it very frustrating)
  • I don't need or want date/time/calendar type to do's or to sync it to a calendar. In fact not having to wade through timing choices would be nice.
  • check boxes are cool but optional
  • the ability to group tasks into a folder as above person mentioned is nice, optional, but only as long as I can still see all my pending tasks in one list also regardless of group (hope that made sense)
  • Edit: I realize I use stickies constantly on my mac. Is there an app that syncs stickies from Mac to itouch?
Meanwhile I will begin looking into the apps listed here that I haven't tried yet.
Thanks for helping

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I use Appigo ToDo. Anyone know when they're going to incorporate push? It says on their website they will be, but it's been saying that for a while now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.