To download watch os 3 beta or not.???

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Joell27, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Joell27 macrumors member

Is the new beta worth updating to? I now know that once downloaded it can't be downgraded without sending the watch to apple. To those of you that have downloaded beta 2 should I take the leap?

2. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Do you depend on your watch for regular use?

Are you willing to put up with problems caused by apps that don't play well with the new OS, or features which haven't had the bugs worked out?

If the potential pitfalls don't phase you, go for it.

3. Joell27 thread starter macrumors member

I don't depend on it. I wear it and mainly use it for reading messages. The apps that I've tried to use load extremely slow and has made me lose interest in the watch.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

As long as you're willing to put up with a host of bugs, reported all over this forum. Remember you're the guinea pig here.

5. teidon macrumors 6502

teidon

wOS3 more or less fixes "apps loading slowly". It's a major improvement to wOS2 overall. But it's still in beta so there are issues. The biggest one being the possibility that your watch might be bricked any moment. The only way to repair a bricked AWatch is to send it to Apple. If you are not paid developer, I do not know how they are going to respond to that. I suppose they will fix it free of charge anyways. It's also against the license of wOS3 beta to install it if you aren't a paid developer.

If you can't wait until September/October (or when ever it's released) and if you are fine with the above, go for it. It's great.

6. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

I wouldn't if I were you until it's done. beta 2 is a steaming pile of crap.
    Beta 1was stable as heck. But this one is just awful. I sent my original watch back to have reverted. But my second watch has it and it's awful.

7. HighFlyingBirds macrumors regular

HighFlyingBirds

I had been on the fence about installing it, but over the last few days, Ive seen a lot of people complain about battery issues and it being unstable. The instability I could put up with, the battery not lasting a day is whats putting me off!
    If I was you, I wait till beta 3 comes out and then see how that holds up!

8. naasrd macrumors 6502

naasrd

No battery issue here whatsoever. No other issues either. Scribble is a joy to use. So convenient.

9. teidon macrumors 6502

teidon

I haven't had any battery issue except when using the Activity watch face. But I have red many users having all kinds of weird issues with Beta 2, that I have not had at all. For example some people say their watch face resets to default one when they reboot, but I haven't had this happen to me.

Beta 1 was mostly good with some crashing and some performance issues (for example when trying to "fast change" watch faces it would often fail and I had try it again couple times) but beta 2 has so far been great except for one crash.

I don't know what's the cause of the many issues people reports here, but for me Beta 2 has been very good. Not "Golden Master good", but "very very beta good".

10. HighFlyingBirds macrumors regular

HighFlyingBirds

That's the big issue for me, it seems to be your luck if it runs well or not.
    I find it very interesting that there seems to be such a variety in performance. Some people even say that even setting it up as a new device causes them to have issues where as people like yourself, seem to have barely any problems at all!
    Out of curiosity, do you have unlock your Mac enabled on your watch?
    There must be some subtle differences in the way people have configured all there devices for there to be such wide ranging issues.

11. teidon macrumors 6502

teidon

My Macs are too old for any Bluetooth 4 LE action, unfortunately. So, no fancy ways to unlock my Macs for me.

12. HighFlyingBirds macrumors regular

HighFlyingBirds

Hmm, interesting.
    I've seen a few people say by turning off their passcode, it disables unlock your Mac, which then increases battery life.
    I wonder if the unlock feature is constantly polling for a connection to a Mac, which is why the battery drains so quickly?

13. Joell27 thread starter macrumors member

How long dis it take to install?

14. teidon macrumors 6502

teidon

The download servers (or something else) seem to have some issues, so the download is going to take anything from few minutes to couple hours.

15. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

Watch OS3 is a great. The problem is iOS 10. But there are so many advantages to Watch OS 3 that it's worth it for me. I love the bigger emoji, scribble, quicker launching apps...

16. Joell27 thread starter macrumors member

Did you wipe you watch before installing the update? I've downloaded profile, but how do I know with beta (1 or 2) will be installed?

17. batting1000 macrumors 604

When you check for an update, it'll find one and the update will say Developer Beta 2

18. Joell27 thread starter macrumors member

Prior to installing did you wipe your Apple Watch and start fresh, or did you just install it?

19. zone23 macrumors 68000

20. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

Not worth it.

21. batting1000 macrumors 604

I just installed it. Why would you need to wipe it?

22. Joell27 thread starter macrumors member

How is it so far?

23. batting1000 macrumors 604

It's fine lol. Not really sure what you want me to say...it's a beta.

24. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

He wants you to say whether its worth it or not.

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

My guess is the OP is waiting for that one person to say it's definitely worth it so he can jump on it. Not liking the responses here so far.