Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctorsti

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2006
Now I have more everything with 4GB and pay $110 before taxes. I typically use between 1-2 GB a month and maybe a couple months a year use 3-4 if we are on a road trip.

I have read up a ton on this subject but I still don't think I truly understand the value of the EDGE program.

My contract is up 9/18/14 but I plan on pre-ordering the 6 tonight and tomorrow changing my plan to that single line plan for $60 a month for 2GB.

I will also have the $200 gift card to apply to my device cost from trading in my old iPhone4.

The rep I chatted with earlier basically said I could apply the $200 to my device retail cost so I could "edge out" earlier as I would reach 60% faster although the monthly device costs wouldn't change.

If I would like the option to upgrade to a different phone in 12-14 months should I go EDGE or just get the 2 year contract single line plan and pay the subsidized price of the 6 Plus 128GB at $499.99 (or so she told me)? The ETF goes down $10 each month so would be around $200 I think after a year which may be cheaper then the balance of the retail cost of the iPhone 6.

Seems like you need a math degree to make sure you are not getting taken advantage of here but I figure someone on this forum has been in this situation or has an expert opinion.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2009
In June Verizon kind of ruined their Edge plan changing the amount of device paid off to 60% before swapping out, and making monthly payments larger due to dividing the cost over 20 months instead of 24. For these reasons I'm going with the $60 single line plan. Also, I can order directly through Apple this way.

Doctorsti

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2006
In June Verizon kind of ruined their Edge plan changing the amount of device paid off to 60% before swapping out, and making monthly payments larger due to dividing the cost over 20 months instead of 24. For these reasons I'm going with the $60 single line plan. Also, I can order directly through Apple this way.

So say you wanted to upgrade to a fictional iphone 6S plus in 12 months. how much would it cost to get out of the contract and could you just sign another verizon contract for a subsidized phone?

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010

still not bad it's just set up that you can't upgrade until that 12 month unless you put money down.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2009
still not bad it's just set up that you can't upgrade until that 12 month unless you put money down.

It's a deal breaker to me because their previous Edge plan was actually pretty awesome: Pay half of the device and lower monthly installments. But you're right, it isn't HORRIBLE now.

----------

So say you wanted to upgrade to a fictional iphone 6S plus in 12 months. how much would it cost to get out of the contract and could you just sign another verizon contract for a subsidized phone?

Well it would be $230 to break the contract at that point. I don't think you can reopen an account immediately though.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008

At least when I was looking online before, you could not get the single plan line on Apple's site…AFAIK you can only do the preorder through Verizon's site for that.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
Don't do edge. If you want to cancel early, it only costs $350 for early termination (minus $10 for each month into your contract).

EDGE is not a deal.

Doctorsti

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2006
To upgrade after 1 year on a 2 yr contract requires paying the ETF of $350-($10)x# of months so $230 to get out and then sign a new contract?

So the question is does the $120 saved from $10 discount per month plus $30 upgrade fee plus the remaining balance of the phone equal to a lot more the $230 right?

I would guess the ETF fee is going to be a couple hundred dollars cheaper then opting to turn in your edge device and getting a new one right?

joshwithachance

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2009
At least when I was looking online before, you could not get the single plan line on Apple's site…AFAIK you can only do the preorder through Verizon's site for that.

Preorder through Apple on a more everything plan, change to the single line plan when you get the phone.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014

I don't think you can access the new $60 a month deal through Apple. I tried to go through the motions last night with the 5S and that plan was not listed. It is a new LIMITED TIME plan and it wasn't listed on the Apple website.

Just a heads up. I would stick with the Verizon website or calling them.

----------

Preorder through Apple on a more everything plan, change to the single line plan when you get the phone.

And that would be advantageous for what reason?

Doctorsti

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2006
Don't do edge. If you want to cancel early, it only costs $350 for early termination (minus $10 for each month into your contract).

EDGE is not a deal.

Yeah the math seems to favor just getting the subsidy and paying the up front money to keep your phone for sale to recoup funds.

I guess I will do the 2 yr contract single line plan for $60 a month and just pay the $500 up front for the iPhone 6 Plus 128GB

joshwithachance

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2009
I don't think you can access the new $60 a month deal through Apple. I tried to go through the motions last night with the 5S and that plan was not listed. It is a new LIMITED TIME plan and it wasn't listed on the Apple website.

Just a heads up. I would stick with the Verizon website or calling them.

Or just preorder with a more everything plan, and change it myself when I get the phone :)

----------

Yeah the math seems to favor just getting the subsidy and paying the up front money to keep your phone for sale to recoup funds.

I guess I will do the 2 yr contract single line plan for $60 a month and just pay the $500 up front for the iPhone 6 Plus 128GB

The $500 up front is a hard pill to swallow, but when you're paying $66 a month it starts to feel less painful pretty quick.

Doctorsti

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2006
Or just preorder with a more everything plan, and change it myself when I get the phone :)

----------

The $500 up front is a hard pill to swallow, but when you're paying $66 a month it starts to feel less painful pretty quick.

Yeah the CS rep I chatted with said I could get the pre-order in tonight on a more everything plan and then call tomorrow to have my plan changed to the single line plan. I'm guessing since my contract isn't technically up until the 18th that I can't choose single line plan tonight during preorder.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014

Smart man. I am doing the same but going with the 6. I have done all the calculations throughout this week. It's your best option. AT&T is actually more expensive too.

I have been on Straight Talk for 2 years and can't believe signing a contract with Verizon is actually a better option this time around. Who would have thought?

Doctorsti

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2006
Yeah the CS rep I chatted with said I could get the pre-order in tonight on a more everything plan and then call tomorrow to have my plan changed to the single line plan. I'm guessing since my contract isn't technically up until the 18th that I can't choose single line plan tonight during preorder.

So with my current plan I can pre order through Apple.com or Verizon and just change plans tomorrow, right?

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
The 60 dollar a month plan is limited. It's to get you to stick around for another 2 years. Verizon isn't stupid they know what they're doing to get people to not jump ship.

It begs the question; why are people jumping ship.

Smart man. I am doing the same but going with the 6. I have done all the calculations throughout this week. It's your best option. AT&T is actually more expensive too.

I have been on Straight Talk for 2 years and can't believe signing a contract with Verizon is actually a better option this time around. Who would have thought?

joshwithachance

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2009
I think i'm going to buy the phone at full cost and BYOD to AT&T with their 65 dollar a month plan.

If you're buying at full cost I'd ditch post paid altogether and use the $45 3GB plan from Cricket Wireless, which is full fledged AT&T anyway.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
I dunno the 60 dollar a month plan is alright but you can't use it as a mobile hotspot right?

To use it as a mobile hot spot I think you need the everything plan which is 90 a month. Verses AT&T which is 65 a month.

I'm still on the fence. i dunno ...

Why? You can get a subsidy with Verizon and pay less per month.

Less initial outlay, and less monthly cost.

Doctorsti

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2006
The 60 dollar a month plan is limited. It's to get you to stick around for another 2 years. Verizon isn't stupid they know what they're doing to get people to not jump ship.

Isn't the promo plan $60 a month for 24 months? Where's the catch? You will be out of contract and free to sign where you please when the promo ends in 2 years.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014

I think Verizon is realizing there is less separating them from the rest of the pack these days. Competition causes price drops and that is what we are seeing year after year.

2 years ago I left AT&T because my bill was $80+ a month for the basic stuff. Now everyone is cheaper.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2009

Or maybe they realize that not everybody is on a family plan. Competition helps too.

Doctorsti

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2006
I dunno the 60 dollar a month plan is alright but you can't use it as a mobile hotspot right?

To use it as a mobile hot spot I think you need the everything plan which is 90 a month. Verses AT&T which is 65 a month.

I'm still on the fence. i dunno ...

Whoa! No free hotspot with single line plan?

That is a game changer as I hotspot my ipad all the time?

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
But can you use the data for mobile hotspot?

I'm not even sure if I'd use it either.

I still got an hour to decide ...

Isn't the promo plan $60 a month for 24 months? Where's the catch? You will be out of contract and free to sign where you please when the promo ends in 2 years.

----------

lol i had thoughts I might do it if I was able to! :p

Whoa! No free hotspot with single line plan?

That is a game changer as I hotspot my ipad all the time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.