To eGPU or not on a 13"...(gaming and video rendering)

crashwins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Going through some equipment struggles here. Had a 15" from 2018 with the pre-Vega GPU and it was snappy, but since I don't do a ton of video work on the road/travel (I like having an external), the 15" felt unnecessary. I sold it, grabbed a Dell (ugh, WTH was I thinking) and am considering a newer 13" and an eGPU. I figured if I max out the RAM and grab a quad-core and pair it with a solid eGPU, it should be darn snappy and plenty for my needs (80% handling big RAW files from photo work and 20% video rendering/processing). I also do some light gaming like Fortnite with my kids. I think Bootcamp would be necessary to run that situation, though...Any experiences in this? Thanks!

ruslan120

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
It's absolutely worth it.

I do a few comparisons on my channel (here's my playlist on eGPUs) and the channel MaxTech does terrific benchmark and comparison videos.

You can even find a smaller eGPU that's more portable (I think it's called the Puck eGPU).

Hope that helps!
- - Post merged: - -

I also do some light gaming like Fortnite with my kids. I think Bootcamp would be necessary to run that situation, though...Any experiences in this? Thanks!
AMD Graphics Cards are natively supported in macOS (apple has a list of compatible cards on their site).
Nvidia is trickier. http://egpu.io has a list of build guides as well as guides for getting Bootcamp up and running. It's a bit of a process. Overall, I think AMD is best (for Windows and Mac acceleration).

Reactions: crashwins