to engrave or not to engrave

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ipaqman, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Ipaqman macrumors 6502

hey all,

so i was going to order a new touch and wanted to know if i should get it engraved. if i get it engraved are there any cons? do they take the protective cover off of it or does the box come opened?

thanks,
    ipaqman

2. baummer macrumors 6502a

Pros to engraving:
    -Customized to you

Cons to engraving:
    -Difficult to sell
    -Apple won't take them back if they're defective
    -If you grow to hate the quote or whatever you engraved (unless its your name), too bad

I vote no engraving. Personalize it with cases or removabale stickers.

3. drnycallstar19 macrumors member

apple will take it back if it's defective. how can they not take it back. it's not the customers fault that the product is defective.

4. ryan.go.habs macrumors regular

You cant exchange it. But you can send it in to be fixed.

5. baummer macrumors 6502a

If it is truly defective and Apple admits to it, then they will. But if you decide you don't want it, or wanted to return it for say a 16GB if you ordered an 8GB, they won't. Whereas one without engraving they would, less their restocking fee.

6. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

I say go for it. I was thinking I shouldn't do it because of the resale value, but by the time I was ready to upgrade, my ancient iPod was hardly worth anything anyway (remember you'll also have an old battery).

7. lovell88 macrumors newbie

It can be hard to sell so my recommendation is decide to put either something generic or something that you think wouldnt make one person not want to buy it.

For example, i put this on my ipod nano:

"iPod, uPod, wePod
    : )"

:p Also, if you do a smilie face, you can only do it with a space between the two characters. The two together wouldnt work. Appearent apple has had a copyright issue with the smilie face. :)

8. Schnebar macrumors 6502

I got mine engraved with my name and phone number

So if I loose it people might call me and it makes it a little less likly to be stolen.

If you find an iPod on some bench a kid might just take it.

But if it has an engraving they will always be asked hey why is that phone number on it and stuff.

But I know I will never sell it.

I have never sold any of my iMacs or iPods

9. Ipaqman thread starter macrumors 6502

anyone ever have their ipod engraved? do they take the plastic off the box when u get it?

10. jmack549 macrumors 6502

I'm almost positive they would engrave it before they wrapped it and all.

11. Tycoonguy macrumors regular

The iPod is engraved before the put it in the box.

12. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I wouldn't. It will only lower the resale and do nothing else for you. It's not like engraving a wedding ring that (at least you hope) will be a life long investment.

13. onionperson654 macrumors regular

onionperson654

Your first impulse may be to get the engraving, because it appears as though you're getting something extra for free!

BUT, Apple does this for a reason, to lock in customers. As has been stated above, there are important reasons for not getting it engraved that for most people will make a non-engraved version worth more.

Just resist the temptation and remember (or buy a case)... The front's so cool you'll almost never look at the back.