To everyone furious about iPhone 4 signal issues...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by knewsom, Jun 29, 2010.

1. knewsom macrumors 6502a

...I've got a 32GB 3GS with immaculate glass that I'd be happy to trade you, straight up. :cool:

2. knewsom thread starter macrumors 6502a

No takers...? Really...???

Boy, I guess it really ISN'T the biggest POS phone ever, huh? :rolleyes:

3. zoman504 macrumors regular

Wow, you gave it what, like 20 minutes. Anyways, we could just return our phones, buy a new 3GS, and save money. Why would anyone trade for yours lmao.

4. knewsom thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think you can still buy a new 32 gig 3GS... an 8 gig, sure. But in any case, I'm offering to trade a $300 phone for a $200 phone.

5. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I paid $499 :D

6. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

To ride on the OP's coat tails.

I will do this same trade. But I will also offer a $100 bonus.

Any takers? :D

You get a $100 and 32GB Mint Condition 3GS for the iPhone 4G.

7. knewsom thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dood, not cool.

....and of course there aren't any takers, half the point of this thread was to shut all the stupid whiny sand in the hoo-hah little girls up. :D

8. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Can get one cheaper on eBay.
    Can sell an iPhone 4 on eBay for more.
    Who'd want to buy yours.
    Why do you still have it? Are you returning your iPhone 4? Or don't have one yet and don't realize they don't work.

9. knewsom thread starter macrumors 6502a

Have one. Works great. Wife has the 3GS. Half the point of this thread is to illustrate that people oughta put up or shut up and quit their freakin' whining because they sound like spoiled little girls.

10. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I have a motorola razor I will trade for a Iphone 4 and a 50% coupon for the sizzler.

11. mbob macrumors member

I just did that trade. I setup my return of iPhone 4 and tomorrow I will reactivate my 3GS.

You fanboys need to realize the phone is a problem for many of us who do not have a strong service signal. My 3GS with iOS4 does not drop calls where the iPhone 4 does. Simply holding the phone and surfing drops service in my area.

12. falconeight Guest

falconeight

You missed out you could of eaten at the sizzler for 50% off.

13. knewsom thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not a fanboy, not by a long stretch. The iPhone 4 drops fewer calls and gives me better reception than my 3GS ever did. Far and away a much better phone.

14. Sean4123 macrumors 6502

Does everyone thats having the reception issue TRULY BELIEVE THAT EVERYONE ELSE is having the issue? I haven't dropped a call yet! Quit being a baby and take your phone back.

15. Sean4123 macrumors 6502

It boggles my mind that the iPhone 4 isn't worth buying a $5 to $25 case for. Not only will it protect it but it will also make this HUGE ISSUE go away like magic.

P.S. I realize Apple is still super duper uber evil ok bud?

16. Alphaspida macrumors member

Correction:

17. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Because the overwhelming evidence shows that all phones have the issue. Its dependent on location. Many people report the issue in some places and not in others.
    No one has been able to show two iPhone 4s in the same location at the same time, one with the issue and one without the issue. There's a thread open for days asking. Only people posting say they don't have the issue... totally missing the point of the thread because they're in denial their iPhone could possibly have a problem.

18. Sh00tingStar macrumors member

For days I've been trying to replicate the "death grip" problem with little success. I tried dozens of times - hands tightly gripping the lower left, covering all antenna seams, and touching all antenna surfaces at once. I even tried it with damp hands, and that would sometimes cause me to lose a single bar. I was thinking that maybe I'd have to try it in the shower for full effect! :p

Today I tried something different. I held I steel razor blade across the lower left antenna gap touching both antennas, and it did repeatedly lose 2-3 bars over the next 30 secs or so. Removing the connection brought the signal back. It appears to me that merely blocking the antenna area isn't enough to affect signal. It looks like a direct connection is required.

So I cut a 3 1/4" piece of Scotch Super Strength clear packaging tape and cleaned the left metal edge of the iP4 with alcohol. I placed the tape from just under the down volume button to just before the left speaker (really the mic) and carefully trimmed the excess with a razor blade. It's simple and invisible.

While I've done no serious lab testing of this, it seems that nothing I can do now affects the signal bars.

Spare me the lecture about how we shouldn't have to do this (or use a case) on a new phone. I completely agree, but something like this might be an easy solution that doesn't require an ugly, bulky case should one choose to fly naked.

19. knewsom thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, every phone has this issue - that doesn't mean it affects everyone. When I first bought mine in the store, I took it out of the Apple Store employee's hands, and immediately replicated the issue. His jaw dropped. I shrugged and left happy with an amazing new phone. Don't touch the no-no spot. Draw a penis on it if it'll help you remember not to touch it.

20. sadievan macrumors regular

Did you buy your 32GB GPS from an ATT store. I am thinking of doing this and was told on the ATT board that since the phone is close out price, it cannot be returned if anything is wrong with it.

21. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Where do you guys seriously drink this milky white stuff that is gui and not milk?

Seriously ... EVERY phone has this issue:
    Touching anywhere on the outside bezel causes the signal to completely drop?!!
    holding the phone causes the signal to drop?!
    The FCC doesn't even state this junk.

EVERY BlackBerry I've owned [7290/8700/8300/8310/8320/9700 current], Every Nokia I've owned [6600/6620/N85-3 for NAM/Nokia E71-2 three times in 1.4yrs], Every Ericsson I've owned [T18z/T39m x2/T68m] the T68m DID have this issue, yet when SonyEricsson merged that same year it was revised as the T68i on the product line changes where made and it DID NOT have this issue [SE: T68i/W810i/K970a/K850i/z500/z600/z520 - z520 had the antenna in the round part behind the flip when opened] ... that's right only 1 phone had this.

There is a SPECIFIC REASON why just about ANY PHONES don't have the antenna exposed to human flesh by "DIRECT" contact!!

I seriously should tape myself HOLDING, even even balling and armpitting the BOld 9700 or ANY phone to see if any even drops by 1 bar.

These general bold-face statements without stating more than 5 PHONES you've used - not just you but others that make the same statement and are NOT certified engineers and have bareley used several phones by more than 1 manufacturer are not just hurting others experience but enforcing generalizations & lies by a company that just doesn't want to hurt their own coffers or their product launch as anything less than stellar.

Some of use has used many phones over the years as our primary in days of networks that did NOT have 3G and even still without EDGE or compatible 850mhz/1900mhz EDGE radios at the time.

22. knewsom thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, this was incredibly incoherent, but I'll do my best to interpret your drunken ramblings.

I have not experienced signal loss when touching anywhere else on the bezel - only the "nono" spot. I haven't heard anyone else having an entire bezel related problem either.

It's also possible that the software of the phone (and yes, the hardware too) was engineered specifically to compensate for human contact, and isn't functioning entirely right, hence the "nono" spot.

I have used many cellphones - from the old Motorolla flip phones, to Samsungs, to a BlackBerry Curve. ALL of them have dropped calls. ALL of them. My 3G and 3GS iPhones dropped a few more, it might be due to ATT (I switched from various carriers over time, but didn't have ATT until iPhone). I can honestly say that my iPhone 4 drops fewer calls than my previous iPhones, and gets better service as well.