To everyone looking for a Camera Connection kit for iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kimando, Mar 29, 2011.

1. kimando macrumors newbie

First post, Hi everyone :)

Bury this if it's already been posted, cannot find any post when searching though. I've found a solution/option for digital camera connection on the iPhone that I wanted to share with the community. As we all know the iPad Camera Connection Kit doesn't work with the iPhone (which is somewhat annoying), so I've been looking into different options for quite a while now. When Apple released iOS 4.3 a whole new option appeared, and it's a good one.

Eye-Fi cards (SD-cards with WiFi) has been around a while but It's when you have a portable hotspot that they become really useful. I've set up the Eye-fi card to connect to my iPhone Hotspot and then I use an app called ShutterSnitch (appstore, 119 SEK, maybe 15 EUR?) to pull the photos from the SD-card onto the iPhone memory.

I just start up the hotspot on my iPhone, launch ShutterSnitch, pick or create a new album in the app and then start my camera in any mode I like. Then BAM, every photo is pushed/pulled to the iPhone in their original sizes including all the metadata. Even better is that the eye-fi card (or shuttersnitch?) keeps track of which photos it has already transferred/received and next time only transfers/pulls the new photos that has not yet been sent.

ShutterSnitch itself is a really nice app. I can set it up to automatically geotag the photos (jpg) upon receiving them using the iPhone GPS, optionally edit other metadata, automatically upload photos to Facebook, Flickr, Dropbox, WebDAV or the iPhone Camera Roll when receiving from camera. It can also email photos straight from the app and use the "open in" feature to open photos in other apps like Hipstamatic or such.

When I'm home ShutterSnitch can push all my photos from my iPhone straight to the pictures folder on my Mac, or let any computer connect to the iPhone by FTP to pull them. ShutterSnitch can do many other things like show histograms and stuff but I've haven't got into that yet. The only downside is that you can't edit, tag or send videos or photos in RAW-format, but it can store them on your iPhone and get them to your computer using FTP.

The setup was a breeze and it does not require your phone to be jailbroken.

Just a recommendation for all camera enthusiasts or photographers who's looking for a Camera Connection Kit alternative, I am not affiliated with Eye-Fi or the guys behind ShutterSnitch in any way.

Have a good one,

Kim

2. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I saw this same set up for an iPad which was cool, but what are the benefits of going to your iPhone? Why would you want your hi res pics going to such a small screen. It would be better in my opinion to just wait to upload them to your computer unless your main goal is to instantly share them online somewhere. I'm sorry, but I don't get it.

3. kimando thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, depends on what you do. For journalists it's a great way to instantly upload professional photos to an editor on the go - without having to pull up an iPad and connect your memory card or camera to it.

I use it while travelling, storing photos on my phone instead of several memory cards or cds. Blogging or just emailing photos to friends and family (like in the nice Apple keynotes and product presentation videos we've been seeing ;) Geotagging is also quite neat. I'm really sold but I don't expect everyone to be, I've seen some threads posted by people looking for this so now people searching for this on google will probably find this post.

4. mgross macrumors newbie

Great information kimando! Thanks for sharing. I have been looking for this capability for some time. My last phone had a micro-SD card slot so I could transfer pics to my phone to email or post them and I've missed this capability with the iPhone.

Unfortunately I think I have to pay AT&T for tethering service to get the personal hotspot on even if I'm only using it to transfer between a camera and the phone. It would be nice if there was a way to enable it for local syncing only.

5. OGeronimo macrumors newbie

Does it work with audio files?

Good stuff, kimando!

Does your suggestion work with audio files? I would think that it shouldn't be a problem but I just want to know if you have done anything with audio files. Thanks.