To FCP pros: export problems with lines?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by duckkg5, Apr 13, 2009.

1. duckkg5 macrumors member

duckkg5

I exported a video using quicktime conversion in Final Cut Pro. I used H.264 codec, 640X480, highest quality video and audio, deinterlace video, but everything that moves horizontally in the shot turns into lines. See the attached picture - the boy at the bottom has turned into lines, but the rest of the shot is stable. what do i do?

Attached Files:

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

What was your acquisition format? How was your project set up?

I've also had problem with QuickTime Conversion's "Deinterlace" function not behaving properly, so I'd be interested in anyone's suggestions for getting it to work consistently.

3. duckkg5 thread starter macrumors member

duckkg5

I used a Canon XL2 camera at 30p or 24p ... the screen shot is probably 30p. I imported all the footage into FCP and it looks fine in the viewer and timeline, but once you export it to .mov, it gets like this. I'm trying to export it to .avi now to see if that helps.

4. duckkg5 thread starter macrumors member

duckkg5

I used .avi and it looks terrible. Any other ideas?

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It's interlacing that you are seeing. If you don't have the Viewer and/or Canvas set to 100% you won't see it there because you are only being shown one field by FCP. Are you using Compressor to export the footage?

Lethal

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Actually, if that was 30p you wouldn't have interlacing at all, no matter what. I'm assuming that's a shot from a 24p segment that came off the tape with pulldown added. Unless you were shooting all 24pA and capturing appropriately, all "24p" DV will come off the tape with 3:2 pulldown so it's running at 29.97.

This looks like a workflow problem to me.