To fix, or not to fix...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Archandy, Jan 11, 2009.

  1. Archandy macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2007
    #1
    I have a dilemma.

    My logic board need replacing, among other things, for around £700.

    I have a late 2007 2.4ghz MBP with added 4GB Ram.

    Im not sure whether to pay the £700 to fix it or put that money towards a new unibody MBP with similar specs.

    Is the unibody with the new graphics card and new screen worth updating to or is my current MBP just as good?

    What do you guys think? I need help in making a decision!!
     
  2. MattZani macrumors 68030

    MattZani

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #2
    I Would say get it fixed, as i prefer the current MBP to the UniMBP.

    If you didnt repair, would you sell...? Im looking for some parts to my Early '08 MBP....
     
  3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #3
    Dang, I guess you've checked to make sure you're not somehow still covered by the initial one year applecare? It's horror stories like this that keep me pulling out the wallet for the extra coverage...

    Some people like the late 07, some the late 08, whatever. I think the 2.4 was still the entry level model for that year, thus no beefier L2 cache, video card, etc.

    The question is how the price compares to a refurbed MB or MBP on the Apple site, craigslist, etc. (BTW, do they have CL in the UK? And if they do, do you have scammers trying to sell you machines out of America in the responses? :D)

    My conversion table telling me that 700 pounds equals 1,051 dollars (sigh...thanks, george bush). Anyway, in the US I could get a refurbed MBP for 3-400 USD extra, which would have a one year warranty that I could extend for another two years. I could also get a refurbed macbook (white) for less than that. On craigslist, with a little determination and patience, I could pick up a machine that's either applecare eligible or already has it included.

    If you repair the logic board, you have a new logic board, but an older machine that's still out of warranty. Would the new board have a warranty, or if it breaks again in three weeks, would they simply shrug at you behind the genius bar?

    I'd sell the machine for parts, add that amount what was allocated to the repair, and either get a new macbook (2.0 alum or 2.1 white) and get something with warranty coverage.

    Sorry, pal, that sucks. Good luck.
     
  4. macrem macrumors 65816

    macrem

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2008
    #4
    First, what went wrong with the logic board? Often its the GPU and I think your model could be covered by an extended warranty due to faulty Nvidia GPUs and maybe the Apple stores don't always automatically inform you...

    If not covered, I'd get a new Unibody MBP and sell or repurpose the working parts, which potentially could bring in as much money as selling a working machine, but more effort.

    Also, at the end of the first year, check out AppleCare prices on eBay (sometimes below $100)
     
  5. Archandy thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2007
    #5
    It really does suck. I will 100% get applecare next time that's for sure.

    I haven't spoken to the repair guys but I know for sure one of the Ram slot brackets snapped off. Thing is the logic board was failing before they broke but not sure exactly why. Either way noting will be covered by apple as its over 1 year old.

    I think the new logic board would come with a 90 day parts guarantee but thats it. I'm tempted to sell the computer for its parts, for as much as I can, and get a new uniMBP.

    I just cant believe Im even talking about getting a new one yet. Mine was working fine for a year, then 1 month out of waranty it break beyond repair. Really changes my out look on apple products, and Ive been mac all my life....
     
  6. macrem macrumors 65816

    macrem

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2008
    #6
    What were the symptoms before the ram slot issue? Were there video glitches?

    If you paid for a diagnostic then I think you deserve a detailed written summary. If it was the graphics card failing from a known faulty Nvidia GPU, there still might be a chance to qualify for the extended warranty in effect for all customers on that part (which is part of the logic board) & I would still call Apple and work it from that angle.

    Yes the replacement part would only be under warranty for 90 days, which does not seem fair but its probably an industry standard(?)
     
  7. jdaco6 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2007
    #7
    Email sjobs@apple.com and see what the Executive team can do for you they have been known to do the impossible! But seriously they are bound to advise you better on what Apple as a company are prepared to do for you then anyone on this forum.

    I hope thats helps. (Your letter should not be angry just dissapointed)

    I would advise that as it is only a few months out of warranty they may be prepared to repair it for free taking into account the already well known problems with the graphics chip in that model but they dont 'Have' to do anything but they most likley will to ensure your customer satisfaction.
     
  8. Archandy thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2007
    #8
    Does anyone know whether you can use DDR2 ram in a DDR3 MBP ??
     
  9. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2007
    #9
    NO. They will not fit.
     
  10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #10
    Can't be done.
     
  11. Archandy thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2007
    #11
    ah ok thanks. The apple store said that they couldnt but another apple reseller said you could. The salesman was about 12 though. Looks like Im getting a new MBP then.
     

Share This Page