To fix or replace my mbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by born2rock, Jan 1, 2009.

1. born2rock macrumors newbie

Background: I have a 2.5 year old 17" MBP (2.17 ghz core duo bought Aug 06, I think) that has a screwed up track pad and screen that only displays gray. Display used to go grey and distorted intermittently over the last 6 months until I jiggled the screen, until it finally went all grey. Apple authorized repair place has quoted me $1200 repair cost for a new top case and track pad and screen, which just doesn't seem worth it. (on a side note, Apple store had thought it needed just a new display cable, how do I know these repair guys aren't screwing me?)
    I had originally bought it for architecture school program needs and as my main media center, but I switched majors and bought a HD projector, so the only somewhat power-intensive thing I do is music recording/editing, but only for demo kind of things with just a few guitar and MIDI tracks and I don't really need the huge screen anymore.
    Thus, I'm thinking for roughly salvage value plus repair costs I can get a new macbook, which looks like would be faster anyway. Or I'm thinking a cheap netbook for on the go, while I use the laptop as a desktop hooked up to the projector and get a wireless keyboard.
    Any advice would be helpful, as the sheer cost of this repair is really complicating things.

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I would get an iMac for the desktop and a cheap netbook (Lenovo S10) for on the go.

3. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I would locate a new cable and try that. If that works then you could get a new top case and possibly have it up as new for ~200 (guessing).

You could still probably get a good amount for it on ebay how it is now, providing a mouse hooked up to it worked fine (don't know why it wouldn't) and an external monitor worked fine.

I would try the cable, can't be that expensive can it?

4. born2rock thread starter macrumors newbie

snowleopard - I don't understand your recommendation of buying an imac. I already basically have a desktop with my crippled macbook, which is the point of trying to fix or replace with a laptop. An imac, given what I described in my first post gives me zero advantages, since being faster than my mbp isnt necessary and I have the projector for a big screen. (Also, I don't even have a desk).
    kellen - That's a good idea. I found the cable for only $20. External monitor and mice work totally fine. I've been using it for a while with my roommates wireless keyboard/mouse and my projector, but then the projector broke.

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Agree with Kellen: May be worth 200 plus some spare time to fix, but not $1200; you would be better off getting a macbook for that kind of money.

If that doesn't work, I'd use the MBP as a desktop and get a cheap netbook like you said. You'll like the new aluminum wireless keyboard.

Hate to say it, but if you'd gotten Applecare, you'd probably be getting a new 17" macbook pro right about now....