To flash or not; need a simple solution

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by fenixx, May 5, 2009.

1. fenixx macrumors regular

fenixx

I'm a designer. I'm use to designing these websites and handing them off the web guy but I am solo on this one.

I just want an incredibly simple, click to go to next "slide" type slideshow. I've been messing with "slideshowpro" but i think it is over complicating what I want to do.

Please, please, please - I just want something incredibly simple to setup - should I use Flash (and if so, what should I do) or should I just create something in Dreamweaver (and if so, what, lol). I've designed what I wanted to do and attached below.

- Any help is very much appreciated. Maybe I can typeset something for you in return ;)

Attached Files:

2. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Hi fenixx :)

I'd stay away from flash. Most uses of flash are, in my opinion, evil :rolleyes:

Take a look at Step Carousel - may be just the ticket if you have the know-how to implement it.

Or some sort of lightbox usage?

Or WordPress with the Viewport theme maybe?

Or have I got the wrong idea?

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why won't normal webpages work for you? You could download or create a "Next" icon to use as a hyperlinked image to go to the next page.

4. pelsar macrumors regular

how programming challenged are you?

if you know virtually nothing, one option is flashden.com....you can buy a flash slide show that uses xml (a way of linking pictures to the internal flash program).

the swf file you import into your website page.....and your done.

option 2 requires basic knowlege of html...you make each page with your image and link text to the "next" page.

5. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

The graphics and timeline animation aspects of Flash development are simple, and often attract artists/designers due to the true WYSIWYG environment.
    The main problem with Flash is that it is essentially akin to writing Java applications.
    In most cases, intermediate Actionscript 3.0 skills, and an absolutely solid understanding of the display list and event architecture are mandatory.
    Simple timeline solutions usually do not work well for image galleries, since this means embedding a lot of images in the SWF. Not good.

>

Flash image galleries (regardless of complexity) are almost always done with an external XML file and a directory of images.
    It's mostly intermediate Actionscript 3.0 programming.
    (the example you posted should probably be done entirely in Actionscript 3.0 and XML)
    Definitely not for a beginner.

FlashDen has lots of excellent XML-based templates for beginners to use in their Flash projects. (especially image galleries)

Not sure where the "Flash is evil" sentiment came from, but you can safely ignore it.
    Here, I'll try it:
    "HTML sites are evil".
    "Macs are evil".
    "Windows sucks".
    Doesn't make it true, nor should it be taken seriously.

GL

6. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

Agreed. Furthermore, due to a nasty bug in Flash Player 9, flash sites that function as galleries or slideshows create HUGE memory leaks! It is something they have somewhat fixed in Flashplayer 10, but that means that you must require FP10 for your image-loading app.

http://www.gskinner.com/blog/archives/2008/04/failure_to_unlo.html

7. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Yeh, this is just my opinion :) I feel it was taken out of context.

A lot of flash websites are badly designed and unnecessary in my opinion. I feel a properly built web page using relevant scripts and css could often produce results far superior in terms of usability, aesthetics and also SEO.

I'm not saying flash is evil, just how some people use it. Flash is an excellent technology and when used correctly and appropriately can be invaluable in delivering that finishing touch or interactive experience that is sometimes required.

Again, all my opinion. You're all welcome to disagree. Though it may not be useful to the OP.