To freelance or not to freelance?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by me_94501, May 20, 2008.

1. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

So I've been looking for a job since September of last year. I had a job on campus while in college, but since it was a student job, I could only work there for a few months after I graduated. Since then, I've applied for numerous jobs, and landed a few interviews, but for whatever reason I haven't been able to land a job. Poor interview skills? A very competitive job market in a soft economy? I don't know. At any rate, I've been considering going into freelancing as a writer/editor. I've done some freelance jobs the last few months, but I've been a little skittish committing to freelancing. On one hand, freelancing would allow me to be my own boss (a friend told me I'm too much of a free thinker to conform to corporate culture), and I know people who do quite well financially as freelancers. Also, I still live at home, and I'm only 25, so I could afford to give it a go and screw up But on the other hand, there's a lot of uncertainty in freelancing and I'd like to be able to move out at some point.

Anyone have any experience freelancing? And if so, what say you?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Start freelancing on the side. If you get enough reliable work you can go full time. If you don't then you just stick w/it as a side gig.

Lethal

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

a few things to consider.
    -taxes, I don't know all the rules, but I think you pay more taxes when working on a contract basis.
    -insurance, if you get a full time job the company usually pays a big part of your medical and dental insurance. If you're on your own it could be very expensive.

4. me_94501 thread starter macrumors 65816

me_94501

I know that with freelancing you need to report and pay taxes yourself; not sure if you have to pay more, though.

I already pay my own medical; dental would be nice to have though.

5. sheepnut macrumors newbie

I agree with lethalWolfe. Definitely take what you can get. We are in a recession, so naturally the job market is soft at the moment. Yes it would be nice to work under the corporate umbrella but staff positions are becoming increasingly rare. Freelance is a great way to gain experience and beef up your resume, and especially network. Since I assume you don't have to pay rent, freelance should be pretty attractive. However, to live comfortably on your own solely doing freelance is difficult. The inconsistency of work and income is especially rough. Once you develop a large clientele things get a lot better... but it takes some time to get to that point. What I highly recommend
    is making yourself a good contract to give to clients. The contract should include your rate and when you are required to be paid. This is very important. I've been a freelance animator in NYC for 3 years and I have gotten stiffed several times or have been paid 6 months to a year after I provided service. Anyway Good luck

6. sheepnut macrumors newbie

I agree with lethalWolfe. Definitely take what you can get. We are in a recession, so naturally the job market is soft at the moment. Yes it would be nice to work under the corporate umbrella but staff positions are becoming increasingly rare. Freelance is a great way to gain experience and beef up your resume, and especially network. Since I assume you don't have to pay rent, freelance should be particularly attractive. However, to live comfortably on your own solely doing freelance is difficult. The inconsistency of work and income is especially rough. Once you develop a large clientele things get a lot better... but it takes some time to get to that point. What I highly recommend
    is making yourself a good contract to give to clients. The contract should include your rate and when you are required to be paid. This is very important. I've been a freelance animator in NYC for 3 years and I have gotten stiffed several times or have been paid 6 months to a year after I provided service. Anyway Good luck