To get 128GB Solid State Drive or Not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yourtoys7, Mar 29, 2010.

1. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

Hi to all, this will be my 1st. Mac and wondering to get 128 Solid State or not?
    For those that bought it, do you regret spending money, was it as good of an improvement as you thought?
    For those that didn't buy it, do you regret and went ahead and did it on your own?
    This will be replacing my desctop, it will be used for everything, but not work just for everything and anything :D

2. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

If I recall correctly, Apple's stock SSD is made by Samsung and they are not good at all.

3. matthemercyless macrumors member

I think Ice Dragon is right. The hard drive is user-upgradable anyway, so I would recommend spending the money on a 128gb OCZ Vertex and installing it yourself. It's not hard to do and there's full guides on the ifixit website.
    :D

Edit: I presumed you were going for a MacBook/MacBook Pro.
    ?

4. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

OCZ or Intel is your best bet from what I hear.

5. yourtoys7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macbook pro,
    there is one in refurb usa' for good price and comparing to canadian prices it is a desent deal.

6. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

The real question should be do you want speed or reliability ? If you want speed replace the normal hard drive with a ssd of your choice , i got the apple ssd drive cause of reliability , i upgraded from a 10 year old computer anything for me is super fast plus ssd really quite, if my ssd dies in any ways which i dought it i got apple care which guarentes me that whin 3 years apple will have to give me another ssd for free :D thats great peace of mind

7. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

3rd party SSD's also come with warranties...

8. yourtoys7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

from apple?

9. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

What this person said. Intel or OCZ all the way. Apple OEM SSD sucks.

10. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

What are you going to do with your laptop? Other than counting the seconds it takes to reboot, do you think you really need an SSD? If you don't than just wait. Another 6 or 12 months down the road you will be able to buy for the same price a bigger drive. An SSD is still a new technology and the prices are likely going to decline rather rapidly at it gets mainstream. This is most likely still going to take another year or two, but as we get there, the capacities will be increasing and the prices will be going down. I love how fast they are and I want one as well. But I don't need it.

11. yourtoys7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't need it either and I do see your point. Thanks...

12. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

I didn't "need" it either but after getting used to apps opening in one to two bounces, reboots taking 16 seconds and my Logic 8 projects opening up like quicksilver, there's no way in hell I'd go back to HDD.

13. Supermansdead81 macrumors newbie

Man it has been so many years since I've posted on here that I've forgotten my original account name and password. Anyhow just wait like the one guy said or at least wait until all the features are actually supported by OS X like TRIM. No sense in using a smaller drive that doesn't even take advantage of all the possible benefits as of yet. That's just my two cents on this subject plus it is always best to have extra space.

14. sgtCaspian macrumors newbie

sgtCaspian

Just for the record, SSD is NOT new technology. However, you are correct that they are beginning to become practical enough for mainstream use, and that prices are going down.

My plan is to buy a new MBP (whenever it's released) with a high capacity HDD. Then, when SDDs are more affordable/reliable, I'll use an OptiBay or something similar to set up a hybrid situation, using the SSD for applications and the HDD for mobile file storage.

As a frequent Logic/Pro Tools user, I can't wait to enjoy the benefits of larger SSDs a few years down the road, but right now I'm doing my best to transition smoothly without maxing out the credit card.

(ps, hello MacRumors world!)

15. roliath macrumors regular

roliath

this
    seeing how effective ssd's were in my desktop made me not think twice about getting one for my mbp

16. Raima macrumors 6502

Oh the pain when I downgraded my mbp from 128gb ssd to 500gb hdd. Was going to put the 128gb ssd into the i7 iMac. It didn't take me long to put the 128gb ssd back in the mbp. I picked up a 64gb ssd for the i7 iMac rather cheaply.

17. I-Eat-Flowers macrumors newbie

Is it possible to put both, a normal hard drive AND a SSD into a macbook pro at the same time?

18. kasakka macrumors 68000

Yup. The SSD essentially is visible in the way it is not visible. You are constantly reminded of the HDD's presence by the way it makes noise, slow loading of applications etc.

19. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Go with the Apple SSD.

You get the peace of mind that it's all covered under Applecare and you still get a great speed increase over a hard drive.

Provided you don't need to store reams of music and video on the SSD then you wont regret the decision - I still can't get over the performance boost to everyday tasks on my Rev. A MBA vs my 2007 MBP.

20. duky macrumors 6502

Please do not listen to this. I went from my OCZ vertex to the SSD in MBA and the difference is definitely noticeable. Either the OCZ drives or the Intel ones will offer warranty so you shouldn't worry about that and they are a ton faster. Do not waste your money on the Apple drives unless you are getting an MBA and have no other choice. But if it's a MBP then just upgrade it yourself, it's easy, cheaper and faster and you will have Apple's warranty covering any computer problems and the SSD manufacturer's warranty covering drive problems.

21. yourtoys7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now that you reminded me, the HDD's noice is enuph to get SSD, $ is always an isue, we spend more than we want, but thats life:rolleyes:. I don't need ton of space on macbook pro, but will be using external HDD.

22. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

I'd personally wait to get em cheaper unless you have lots of spare cash.

I'll be upgrading my laptop to an SSD in a couple of years instead of upgrading the whole machine for a nice performance boost.

23. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Obviously no. So?

24. I-Eat-Flowers macrumors newbie

?

25. esmode macrumors member

Get an Intel or OCZ. You'll save money and you will get a better drive. My only gripe with an SSD is the capacity. I honestly enjoy the capacity of a 1tb drive over the speed increase of an SSD. Being able to travel without external hds while keeping large library of files with you is nice.