To get a hard case... or not to get a hard case...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shakeman0, Jul 22, 2009.

1. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Im about to get a 13" macbook pro and was wondering if I really need to get a hard case like the speck or incase hard shell. Do you think I should worry about a few minor scratches? I mean... Its a computer right? You can expect some scratches just from everyday use. If I am not worried about scratches should just get a sleeve?

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Why buy a hardshell case and hide the beauty? I have the Incase neoprene sleeve, and it's great. Once you arrive at your destination, you take it out of the sleeve and show off your amazing product. :)

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You don't need to get a hard case, it does offer more protection, but as long as you take reasonably good care of your computer you'll be fine.

4. entity macrumors regular

+1 Absolutely!

5. shakeman0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Good point. If your paying for a beautiful laptop why hide it?

So far I am leaning towards the sleeve.

6. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

+1 on the sleeve. The hardshell case adds so much bulk and weight; a sleeve and a little care should keep it in very good shape for a long time.

7. fk51785 macrumors regular

I used to have those hard cases on my old macbooks but they added weight and made the macbook look ugly. If you worried about scratches, try invisibleshield, which is what I have on my 13 MBP. Also the incase neoprene sleeve are excellent choice for MBP as well.

8. robby818 macrumors 6502a

I used the incase shell on my previous gen. MBP. I bought the shell as soon as it hit my local Apple store. The shell actually looked really good and I received several compliments on it. Someone thought Apple was making matte black MBPs. But I decided against one for my unibody MBP. Mainly because the unibody does not dent nearly as easily as the previous gen. and I think I need to just get over my OCD with keeping my gadgets pristine.

9. absintheuphoria macrumors newbie

If you really want a shell, then get the clear incase. you can still see the design of the MBP and not be distracted by gaudy colors :D

10. toxicdrift macrumors member

i just got a mbp 13 myself and i was in a similar situation as u coz a friend suggested i get one but i ended up deciding not to buy a hardcase or those speck satin sleeve cases, coz at the end of the day its just wasting money, the laptop is made by a single block of aluminum (pretty tough aint it), and it will reflect ur personality, so what if gets a few scratches, i think that gives it some attitude and why would any1 want to hide it behind a plastiky cover. just get a sleeve, im lookin for a good one myself, or a good bagpack. :D

11. HBapple macrumors newbie

I just assumed I would get one when I first bought my MBP. Just made sense, keep it all nice and protected. At least I thought. I was bummed that the new cases were not out, now I think it was a blessing, as I would have gotten one.

But after some time reading etc.. I decided that it just not worth it. My main reason is cooling, and that aluminum likes being open and exposed.

Not to mention I run windows to game, and this is the most critical time it may heat. So I bought myself a really nice stand (Luxa 2) and a fan and let it chill as much as possible. Covering the bottom is just not optimum for it in respect to cooling... Especially if you run it hard and try to use some type of cooling system. That aluminum should be bare and at least raised a bit to open space underneath. Lots of products for that, even with fans.

In respect to protecting it, I am just careful, or use a neoprene sleeve for transport. I think it would be hard to scratch it... Pretty tough case and Im not going to play soccer with it.

IMO it looks and feels so much nicer naked :D

12. saab9573 macrumors 6502

saab9573

I also thought I could get away with just a sleeve, and I got the Contour pocket sleeve which I highly recommend, but.....

on my away to boarding a plane and going through security checks, some nice security lady decided to ask me to take the Macbook out of the sleeve and proceeded to throw it violently into a plastic tray.......needless to say I got a massive scratch on the bottom of my 1 week old Macbook!

so for air travel or anywhere your "baby" might get man handled by strangers I would advise using a hard shell case....

13. mrplough macrumors member

If your planning to buy a hard case please be ready to clean it at least once every 2 weeks at minimum. If you don't dirt will get under there and scratch you laptop especially when you take it out again to clean the dirt.
    I was contemplating it, but then i decided to just stick with a sleeve. At least then I can only blame my self if I scratch it up.

14. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

I don't get it. When the case is attached how does it actually allow dust to get in?

15. therealkaizoku macrumors newbie

The cases don't have a gasket to make an air tight seal, so dust can still get in between the cracks.

It's the same thing with phone cases. Dust always seems to get in there.

I've got a Speck clear hard case on the way and plan to have to clean it out every couple of weeks...I might just pick up a sleeve though.

16. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Just get a sleeve so that other stuff in your bag don't scratch it and use it as is. Unless you intend to sell it in the following couple of months why worry so much. Scratches and wear will come, and in a couple of years you'll get a new laptop...

17. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Hmm... InCase, Speck. Seems like the overwhelming responses are Incase, but some people seem to be still Speck loyal followers

18. G4-power macrumors 6502

G4-power

Hardshell cases tend to look bulky, I'd recommend a sleeve. Saves you from the scratches but still maintains the original looks when you pull out your book. I've never tried an invisibleshield, but I've heard it been highly recommended.