To get a iPad 2 or not?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Just1nCase, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Just1nCase macrumors member

Recently, my Macbook Pro decided to die on me and I am currently running my Hackintosh with i7-930 as my main machine. It's a good main machine at home and it has been running stable so far, but I am now missing a device for me to bring on to go or conveniently carry around the house.

I plan to use this device during errands (grocery or clothing shopping, bank, etc.), to bring when I travel once a year, to display my concepts to clients instead of a laptop, causal leisure when I'm in bed or just sitting out in the couch, watching and reading design magazines (if any) or videos, organize my schedules and to-do list each week.

Based on my situation, should I go with iPad 2? or just get my MacBook Pro replaced with the new line-up (Probably the 13")? or a MacBook Air?

What are you thoughts? Do you think this device will provide a significant replacement of my broken old Macbook Pro (2.3Ghz)? The only thing that worries that I am no longer able to run any design programs on an iPad, but since I graduated from college, I don't need to bring my laptop as often and I simply use my desktop computer more often now.

Sorry for the long post. Any feedback would be appreciated before I shell out money for an iPad 2? Possibly a 3G version when I travel?

2. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

From what you said an iPad 2 would be perfect. Way more portable than a Mac Book.

But be prepared to wait because they are sold out everywhere.

You currently have an iPhone? Or any smart phone with data plan that can tether? If you do, WiFi is fine.

3. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

It sounds like an iPad would be perfect for you, especially for running errands and showing work to clients - enjoy!

4. richorlin macrumors regular

To get a iPad 2 or not?

From your description of your needs, it sounds like a 1st gen iPad would be just right for you. You can buy a refurbished 32gb WiFi model for $429 with free shipping. Why spend more than you have to?

5. richorlin macrumors regular

To get a iPad 2 or not?

From your description of your needs, it sopunds like a 1st gen iPad would be just right for you. You can buy a refurbished 32gb WiFi model for $429 with free shipping. Why spend more than you have to?

6. 482214 macrumors 6502

If cash isn't an issue I'd say Air with Iphone 4... If it is then as above with a 1st gen ipad. Enjoy

7. Dknelson728 macrumors member

The lounging, presenting, traveling, errand-running all go perfectly with the iPad 1 or 2.

I'm still not able to bring myself to call the iPad a total replacement for a laptop, but it's certainly getting close what with external keyboards and Apps to do about anything a lappy will. It sounds like for your needs though, you'd benefit (and save a lot over a MBAir!) from having an iPad.

8. Just1nCase thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick response and no, I don't have a iPhone unfortunately. I do have a Blackberry from Virgin Mobile which has a data plan, but it cannot be tethered.

That's true. A iPad 1 gen would be just fine for my needs. Although I wouldn't mind spending more for iPad 2 for its good speed bump compared to the previous. It seems like I'm leaning towards a IPad now. Fun, portable leisure device to bring around. I can use a Macbook air, but I rather use my desktop to do work on it.

I guess I'll be patiently be waiting for iPad 2 to become available again. Thanks all fr your feedback. :)

9. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Well, I know this is a different opinion than most posters so far...

But if you have the money, I would much more recommend a MBA and an iPhone to the iPad 2. It's a significantly larger investment, but will also provide you with a lot more functionality. I think the combo of a good iOS phone and a good OSX laptop currently beats having one larger iOS device.

Especially consider, when you're out grocery shopping and all that, you will be much more likely to just want to bring a phone (that you can just throw in your pocket) than try to lug around a 10 inch screen. Also, when you're taking the machine around for work, you will appreciate having the power of a full OS at your hands when you need it.

Now that is just my opinion. I know there are a lot of people on here that do bring their iPads everywhere. But I still see it as more of a consumption device than as a truly full-fledged computing experience.

10. Just1nCase thread starter macrumors member

That is a legitimate response—that always draws me back in square one. I just wished that Macbook Air had a i5 or i7 processor so it would been pretty competitive to get a Macbook Air than a Macbook Pro.

Someday I'll get a iPhone. Ahh, decisions, decisions, decisions.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I agree, taking and using an iPad for grocery shopping will reveal how awkward that will be, either when you push the carriage and try to read the iPad's screen to look at your shopping list or when carrying a basket.

While the iPad will excel at leasure usage, like surfing in bed, or in the living room. You may be a bit limited when using it for showcasing your designs and concepts to clients. I'm not sure what you'll be showing off, but I am sure you'll easily be able to make changes/tweaks to it on the fly with the laptop. Depending on the type of business trip you may create some adhoc designs on the MBA then the iPad.

I love my iPad its a great device but there's no way it can replace my laptop and to be honest, I'd rather not try.

12. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I totally agree. There's a good chance my next laptop will be a sandy bridge MBA. Doubt it'll be out anytime soon though...

13. ActiveApp macrumors member

I have a first gen MacBook air and I just got my first iPad today. I can already see my self doing everything on my iPad that use to do on the air. The only thing I will be using my air for is doing any development work when I don't want to sit in front of my iMac.

14. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Go for the MacBook pro if you're looking bang for buck. It's the most versatile for what you want to do. The iPad isn't a computer substitute.

15. Just1nCase thread starter macrumors member

Loving the feedback, thanks again.

I'm thinking of just getting an iPhone and/or a Macbook Pro instead a iPad—after reading your responses. Although iPad is a good leisure device, it seems so limiting on what I need to do. I believe using an iPhone will encapsulate my portable device and using my Macbook Pro when I need to use a full Mac desktop experience.

I would love to get an iPhone right now in Verizon for a nice portable device in comparison to my sluggish Blackberry, but according to the MacRumors' buyers guide, it recommends me not to purchase one because they is going to be an update soon. Should it best to wait or just purchase one?

What do you guys think?

Thanks again for your help!

16. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

If you need one now, go ahead. The iPhone 4 is a great piece of kit. However, the iPhone 5 will be announced in June, so if you can wait, it will probably lead to less buyer's remorse, haha.

17. epictempo macrumors regular

iPad 2 now....wait for the updated air with sandy bridge.

18. Just1nCase thread starter macrumors member

Hahaha, I'll probably just wait then. I don't want to regret it. I think I just invest in a new Macbook Pro for the meantime.