To get rid of or keep Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MPclk2006, Oct 19, 2014.

1. MPclk2006 macrumors regular

I have a mid-09 Macbook running Mavericks with 4GB RAM. The only thing wrong with it at this point is that it needs a new battery which I have not researched to see how much it will cost.

My question is this, I just bought a (used) 2011 Macbook Pro so I don't really have a "need" for the Macbook, should I sell it to see how much I can get for it (i paid $240 when I bought it a year ago) or should I just keep it as it is still a great computer.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The market for the older white MacBooks (pre-unibody) has decreased significantly. If you still see a use purpose for it then why sell? What shape is it in?

3. MPclk2006 thread starter macrumors regular

I consider it in great shape, it has scratches on it but they are not deep or anything, no cracks and everything hardware works, like I said the battery is the only thing, and if I was to keep it I would like to upgrade it with an SSD. I personally want to keep it but I think the wife wants me to sell it...we'll see...

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Does your wife have a Mac? If not then those white MacBooks are still great for most any casual usage. If you add an SSD, I highly recommend the Samsung 840 Evo series. They are a great blend of affordability and performance.

5. MPclk2006 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, she has a Macbook pro (late 2010), bought her that recently for work related stuff, as she likes to not be stuck to the imac...pretty much why I bought a Macbook pro too is because of her getting that one...if I keep it I would use both macbooks

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The clincher he is what the wife says. If you can "safely" convince her to keep it then go for it.

7. MPclk2006 thread starter macrumors regular

haha you must be married as well...

8. NDefer macrumors member

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No. Actually I am only 16.

10. MPclk2006 thread starter macrumors regular

haha well then you already ahead of the game then.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Is her MBP a 15"? If so they are known for video card issues and you should keep the white MacBook for reassurance "just in case".

12. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I keep my white macbook mainly as a backup machine of my retina one. Since I entered the display lottery last year with my rMBP, I have found my MBW specially useful when I send the newer laptop to an AASP.

Anyway, the white macbook is still in great shape and performs like a boss since it has 8GB and a SSD. I was a bit consumerist for having bought a newer Macbook when its older brother is in perfect working condition.

13. Alex88 macrumors newbie

To keep or not to keep

Although I'm sure there are a few ways to look at this, I'd say to keep it! That is unless you could use the extra few bucks you'd get from selling it, which may not be much? Otherwise, it can never hurt to have an extra computer on hand (especially a Macbook) as you never know if or when you might need it as a backup, or you could even use it as your 'travel computer' so the newer one stays in top condition ;) In regards to the battery, you can probably get a new one for less than $50 online.