To go or not to go?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by paddy, Jan 28, 2010.

1. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Hello all.

I'm a student studying in Ireland and I recently applied to, and was accepted for, a study abroad programme in the US. Basically I do my third year in the US and come back for my finals. I got offered North Carolina State for the year and I accepted but I'm now getting second thoughts on it.Could anyone tell me if Raleighs a nice place to live? What's the campus like? And the people?

I'd really appreciate any help I could get to make up my mind, really unsure what to do atm!

Cheers, Paddy.

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I don't know anything specific about NC State, but if it's anything like a typical college environment, you'll have a blast. I can't imagine you not having a great time, and Raleigh seems like a cool town too.

Also, assuming you have an accent, you'll pull more wool than you'll know what to do with (or the male equivalent - I don't have any crude euphemisms for that scenario). :p

3. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

North Carolina is generally considered part of the South and thus people there will be polite and easy going. The #1 college sport in NC is basketball so that will be a plus if you're already a fan of the game. It sounds to me like a cool opportunity and something you would probably regret if you didn't go.

Edit: the Wikipedia site for Raleigh, NC is quite extensive and could provide you with a lot of information.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

Damn right.
    It's better to regret something you have done than regret something you haven't done!

OP. My wife did a year in Northwestern Uni in Evanston Illinois, whilst at Sussex Uni, and she loved it. It's a great experience.

Do it.

5. timerollson macrumors 65816

You would cheapen your entire college experience if you don't take advantage of this opportunity.

6. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

NC State is a VERY well respected university, and you will have a great educational experience. NC state is big into basketball, as said earlier. Have you wiki'd the college and learned about the city/town it is in? Does that city/town look like a place you could see yourself living in for almost a year?

7. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Go go go! Any place is better than the *weather* in Ireland!!!

8. paddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

paddy

Thanks so much guys, you've dispelled any doubts I've had! Gotta book me some flights! ;)

9. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Sounds like you've already decided, but . . . Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area is nice!

10. paddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

paddy

That's good to know. Yeah I was pretty certain I was going to go anyway but I just got a few doubts today about the area it was in but it sounds like it's good. Should be some experience!

11. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

As others have said Raleigh is a really great place. Have fun and let us know how it goes!!!

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm glad you are going OP, it is a great opportunity. Make the most of it and have a great time.