Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tonytownsend

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
I found a used 2009 With dual 2.93, 2tb hard drives, Raid card, 32gb ram for $4500 is this to good to be true?

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
all you can really do is look at the system profiler and make sure all the components they say are in there are actually there. Maybe, peak inside and see how it looks. Not much else you can do.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Depends on just how "used" it is...

True. But what exactly can wear out in a computer these days? HDDs are cheap and so one could put new one(s) in. Ditto for a super drive. Other than that what could go? I suppose a fan on a video card or a fan in the case. RAM, CPUs, and if motherboards are good (no bad caps) should last decades. What and how do these essentially solid state, no moving parts electronic things wear out? Just curious.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
I found a used 2009 With dual 2.93, 2tb hard drives, Raid card, 32gb ram for $4500 is this to good to be true?

In my experience; if it sounds too good to be true, then it usually isn't!

Thats a heck of a cheap price (my spidey senses would suggest many things scam, hot, or perhaps your lucky and its financed and seller has run out of luck).

engage caution my friend...

Murray M

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
How many people out there are looking for a MP with a raid card and 32 Ram?

My guess is that the seller needs the cash and has found the market is too small too support such a specialized computer. Your win.

Too good to be true would be MUCH cheaper (like $3000 for all that).

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
How many people out there are looking for a MP with a raid card and 32 Ram?

My guess is that the seller needs the cash and has found the market is too small too support such a specialized computer. Your win.

Too good to be true would be MUCH cheaper (like $3000 for all that).

Yup. It's a good deal, but not too good to be true unless you want all that stuff.

Tonytownsend

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
email him back never got a response it was to good to be true oh well gonna here in a hour or so and buy a pro with dual 2.26, gonna suck reinstaling everything though:mad:

Techhie

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2008
The hub of stupidity
email him back never got a response it was to good to be true oh well gonna here in a hour or so and buy a pro with dual 2.26, gonna suck reinstaling everything though:mad:

I'm guessing the listing looked something like this: link

He posted it in every major city, trying to get Western Union payments. I ended up on the phone with him, and apparently he is somewhere in NC. Stay far away.

Sorry :rolleyes:

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Haha. I already emailed this guy weeks ago. Look at the listing, he says its a 2009 Mac Pro. Well the 2009 had dual firewire 800 in the back, not one firewire 800 and one firewire 400. It is a 2008 or 2006.

I emailed him, asking for sure if it was a 2009 and if this was the actual pics of it. He said it was. I called him a scammer. Guy actually got mad at me. Then I pointed out the discrepancy. He said his "apple guy" would look at it and get back to me. That was weeks ago and no email.

If it is this same one linked, stay away.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Who falls for these scams? Two minutes of background checking or half an ounce of common sense would tell you this is a scam.

Techhie

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2008
The hub of stupidity
Who falls for these scams? Two minutes of background checking or half an ounce of common sense would tell you this is a scam.

The people who have a 2010 Mac Pro fund burning a hole in their pocket in desperation:rolleyes:

I gave him a call, and he sounded strangely legit, but I figured if he listed it on eBay, I would at least have some legal ground to stand on. That was three weeks ago, and his silence says it all. That, and him continually posting it on every major craigslist on the US :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.