To Hack or Not To Hack: Considering re-hacking

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Draythor, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

I am well experienced now in hacking my iPod touch. Recently I had my week 47 replaced due to several faults with a week 43.
    Obviously to have it exchanged at the apple store in London I had to restore it to give the impression that I had not hacked it.
    Since recieving my new model (which, by the way is absolutely perfect.) I have been umm-ing and ah-ing about rehacking. I have all the tools and experience to do it again but should I?
    I mean with the update and SDK coming and the possibility of a wealth of new iPod apps. Why bother? If I have to find a new way to hacking my iPod every few months, can I honestly be arsed doing this non-apple approved method, Losing all my applications and downgrading, upgrading etc.
    Anyone else thinking along these lines?

Edit: interesting enough this is probably the longest post I've ever made. On or off my iPod this horizontal keyboard is the best.

2. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I just un-jailbroke mine to replace it soon and I WILL not jailbreak the new one.

Reason: I asked for an iPod Touch for the multi-touch interface music and video player. If I wanted the mail and weather and such, I would have gotten an iPhone. The iPod Touch stock is just a good to me but I know tons of people will disagree.

It all depends on what you really use it for. Just think about how much you will REALLY use all those apps and if you can't just wait for the SDK.

3. BassistKing1 macrumors member

well its not like its that hard to jailbreak the ipod touch, and install apps. doesnt take very long either. but if u dont use any of the apps that much, then i wouldnt bother. even if a new update from apple comes, i owuld wait for a bit to install it and see what other people say about it first, cuz apple might make it unlockable or unhackable, (if thats even possible through a software update, probly is tho). but really, its up to you.

4. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

What exactly is the downside to jailbreaking, it's easy, and it's benefits are there.

I like using mail and weather. Notes is useful and better then having to make calender events.

Not only that but I use a lot of the third party programs. iPhysics, Tap Tap Revolution and gpSPhone have kept me entertained.

I jailbroke pretty fast, and then decided to just wait, and really just about 2 days later I was already jailbreaking back.

5. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Hi,

I've removed the hacks from mine, as I'm waiting to see if there's a firmware update with new features tomorrow (Macworld).

6. JungMin macrumors newbie

Hahaha....Again, another one of these threads.

WHY NOT DO IT?!?!?! It won't fack you iPod. It adds more function. If you want to upgrade it when a new firmware comes out, just restore it first!!

There is nothing to debate, just do it!

7. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Independence has made it even easier than before.

I just jailbroke a few with 1.1.2 the last couple of days with no problems.

I don't see why not. If better or more appealing apps come out tomorrow at Macworld, then you can always go the Apple approved route.

8. cjmal macrumors 6502

Agreed, I don't think this type of decision warrants a new thread. Either do it, or don't. Jailbreak it mess around with it. Not happy? Restore it. Still feel like you needed those extra apps? Jailbreak it again. It's a simple process. It's not like you're buying an expensive car or something like that.

9. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

mine was jailbroken, and i restored it, becouse it was acting funny, and said to myself, ahhhhh what the heck, i can wait till FEB to get new apps on it...

and also with 1.1.3 supposidly bricking jailbroken touches, i would wait a day or two to see if that actually happend from somone else...

10. Draythor thread starter macrumors 6502

Draythor

I hate to disagree with you but this thread was never a question as to whether I should re-hack or not. It was a question as to whether anyone else has hacked and then decided against it. As it happens there are. If this thread does not concern you I would ask you kindly to move on. Much obliged.

~Dray

11. JungMin macrumors newbie

Sounds like you were asking.....

Anyways, regardless......its a 20 minute job and the benefits are clear. Restore to an earlier version before you upgrade to 1.1.3 just to be sure.

12. Draythor thread starter macrumors 6502

Draythor

Well. I agree that those certainly were questions however you'll see I concluded to not hack and asked if anyone else was of the same opinion.

13. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Personally I wouldn't bother now. Software 1.1.3 comes with Mail, Stocks, Notes, Weather and Maps. For anything else it may be worth waiting till the SDK is release in Feb.

Thank you http://www.macrumorslive.com/ !!

14. dagored macrumors 65816

For a $20 fee. I would hack it. Nothing that new.

15. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Damn $20?! Yeah hack it! That's quite harsh.

16. macfan881 macrumors 68020

the new Maps is a initaitive for the upgrade and the fact yahoo.com now works with the officail mail app is sounding good too.

17. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

Will restoring the jailbroken 1.1.3 out of box ipod touch fix the bricking problem ?

18. 619 macrumors member

Here's my question, if I decide to restore my jailbroken iPod Touch and then update to 1.1.3 will it brick my iPod?