Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris200x9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
I have an iPhone, I want to be able to ssh my computer from it, I was wondering if I should hack my phone because this will only be able to be done when hacked, or do you think when apple opens up the SDK we'll see a non-hack ssh solution?

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
Is it really worth going through the process of hacking your iPhone just for SSH? Do you really want to shell into your computer using a tiny screen? If you were wanting to add many other applications and customize your iPhone I could understand....but just for ssh?

chris200x9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
no, I want to add apps and customize it too but I can wait until a *proper* way comes out....but my concern is I want ssh too so if apple will never let you do ssh...then I think I'll hack otherwise I can just wait.

chris200x9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
so I'm asking do you think when apple releases the SDK we'll get an ssh solution?

brando88

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
I don't think we'll see anything like shell access from apple, ever.... Apple has always displayed a reluctancy to opening things up, and the SDK, whenever they finally release it is most likely going to be very slim (eg. an alpha release).

Jailbreaking, at this point, is as simple as a plug and click, what is so hard about that?

And furthermore, is quite difficult to actually do something to your phone that you can't undo...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.